Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant

edallen

Hello, all. Yesterday I installed Better Privacy as an add-on in Firefox. Today I checked on my add-ons and see the above named program also in the add on area. I do not remember adding this on. Anyway, when I click on it, it says: not compatible with Firefox 3.5.6. So I figure I could just uninstall it but the uninstall area is grayed out. Can't find this anywhere else on the computer. I guess I am asking 1) where did it come from? 2) Is it OK to just leave it alone and not worry about it.

Hope this is clear. Appreciate any comments/suggestions you might have. Have a great Holiday Season. Ed :unsure:

Thanks a lot. I went ahead and followed your advice. Actually, version 1.2 is now installed and no problem. The other simply disappeared. Thanks again; sure wish I was that computer wise. That is why this board is such a good thing. :lol:

In future also close firefox, and open firefox in safemode. start - run - firefox -safe-mode

In some cases previously greyed out add-ons will now be listed for uninstallation

Failing that go to your firefox profile, something like C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxx.default\extensions\

and each folder contains the addon. Click each folder and open install.rdf in notepad to see what the addon is.

Remove entier folder.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

That addon installed by Microsoft .NET Framework v3.5 into Firefox which doesn't even prompt the user for permission can be completely removed, which I've done myself.

1. To remove it:
  2. Set Automatic Updates to:
    Notify me but don't automatically download or install them
  3. Follow these instructions to completely remove it:
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-600
  4. To make sure it will never be reinstalled again go to the Microsoft Update site, then when it finds there's a new version select the option to never show that update again/hide that update. Now you'll be done with it for good and it won't be reinstalled.
  5. Remember to set Automatic Updates back to automatic mode if that's what you had it in to begin with.