Defraggler Crashes Everytime

Veracity

Greetings Forum,

I have heard a number of good things about Defraggler and recently installed it. Every time, though, I try to defrag an individual file or folder the program crashes. Can the program even do these tasks? If not, why include them in the options? Is there a fix to this? I have the most recent version if that helps.

PS

Sorry for being a dolt but what is the difference between the priority settings, Normal vs Background?

When you say crash, do you have any information as to the error message or when it happens.

What version of Windows and service pack do you have installed??

Richard S.

Good Sir,

I dont get a specific error message just a general windows message saying "Defraggler has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Regarding Windows: I am using XP, SP3.

Thanks for any help you provided. Thanks and cheers!

How full is the drive you're working on? Defraggler needs free space to work properly.

Have you run a full scan yet? I've had a lot better luck doing full scans in Safe Mode. You might give that a try then see if it works properly. :)

If you run defraggler in debug mode and attach the log here it will give the developers a clue if there is a problem

http://docs.piriform.com/defraggler/troubl...r-in-debug-mode

C:\Program Files\Defraggler\Defraggler.exe /debug

This couldnt be found at all by Windows. If I removed the /debug, the program started up just fine but with it Windows couldnt find anything. Is that part of the problem?

How full is the drive you're working on? Defraggler needs free space to work properly.

Have you run a full scan yet? I've had a lot better luck doing full scans in Safe Mode. You might give that a try then see if it works properly. :)

As of right now, my drive (300g) has 22% free space and still the crashes so I dont think thats part of problem. I havent tried the Safe Mode idea yet but that is next. Thanks!

You might try turning off System Restore temporarily; doing so automatically deletes all your restore points so just be aware of that. Or you could delete all but the most recent restore point with the Disk Cleanup utility or CCleaner.

System Restore files can't be defragged anyway and can take up huge amounts of space. I've had a lot better results by simply taking them out of the equation then creating a fresh restore point when I'm done defragging. :)