Office XP

mike42

This is not exactly a bug, but still it has to be corrected in my opinion.

Here is the problem:

For a long time I have been wondering why my MS Word keeps losing most of its settings from time to time. Of course, I have been blaming M$ for its usual sloppy programming, but yesterday I discovered by mere coincidence that CCleaner was responsible for this mess all along. In the built in cleaning entries I found in the section "Office XP":

RegKey8=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Word\Data|Settings
RegKey9=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Access\Settings

Ladies and gentlemen, what on earth is that supposed to be? Those two lines have caused me a lot of grief and I really don't understand what possible use they could have.

As for now I put those two entries into the GUI-exclude section, but I strongly suggest they be removed from the program entirely.

Please, bug fixers, can you comment on this issue?

Thank you,

Mike

• Moderators

umm that is strange that those are in there

as a a stop gap

use exclude and exclude those entries

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

It's been that way for years, and many people have complained about it. The solution has been to untick Office cleaning.

Nergal's suggestion would work best in my opinion because once you set the exclusions you'll never have to worry about your settings being erased again - so long as you always install new versions of CCleaner over old versions that way you'll retain your CCleaner settings.

It's been that way for years, and many people have complained about it. The solution has been to untick Office cleaning.

I know, it's been there for years. And I have been cursing M$ for years now and have been searching the internet, why my Word keeps 'forgetting' its settings.

But if you just untick 'Office XP' all the rest won't get cleaned as well.

Nergal's suggestion would work best in my opinion because once you set the exclusions you'll never have to worry about your settings being erased again - so long as you always install new versions of CCleaner over old versions that way you'll retain your CCleaner settings.

As I wrote in my OP, that's what I have done for the moment. And if the devs decide that they want it that way I can leave the exclude settings. But I still don't get the point in those entries. Usually people adjust the settings of a program, because they want them that way (at least for me). And they don't want to redo the settings over and over again.

But, let's let the devs decide.

regards,

Mike

• Moderators
But I still don't get the point in those entries. Usually people adjust the settings of a program, because they want them that way (at least for me). And they don't want to redo the settings over and over again.

But, let's let the devs decide.

People have been bitten by their Office settings being removed for years by CCleaner, and every so often there's a new post about it.

Good luck on it being removed though as the settings and MRU are within the same key areas and CCleaner isn't the only cleaning program that wipes out the settings so a keen eye on available cleaners such as Office that could be unticked in such cleaning tools needs to be practiced.

The MRU list can however be completely turned off in Word.