Browser

mal

I leave my comp on 24/7. Win XP Firefox 3.5. I am connected to the world through a router along with other computers. It is a broadband adsl not dialup.

Is there any more risk leaving my browser running 24/7. [ just google home page ]

My anti virus , task manager and open office are on all the time.

There are no problems with this computer, just wondering about security. :)

you should be fine dude. have a Anti-Virus App. Running in the background? you should. either AVAST! or Avira will do fine ^_^

for Spyware Malwarebytes' and SUPERAnti-Spware is all you need. Spybot S&D (Optional) All Freeware!

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

With resident anti-virus (Avast, AntiVir, etc.), and a firewall rather it be software-based or hardware-based you're more than likely well covered which is the setup I've used for years. Just because your browser is sitting on Google doesn't mean anything else is going to happen, as it's just sitting there not loading anything else until you click a link.

It's the stuff you actually download that can get you, so scan all files you download. Also if you accidentally visit a bad website that can be an issue if your installed security software doesn't detect and block it.

I personally find noscript more beneficial then resident malware scanners. Even though newer versions seem to be les unstable.

Worth checking out

No fate but what we make