RECURSE and REMOVESELF not working (v2.24.1010)

mike42

I have already tried to draw attention to this topic in the general discussion board, but with very little response. Moderators, please tell me if this issue is regarded as not important or does not concern the core of ccleaners functionality. If so, I am not gonna hassle the community any further. Otherwise I am pretty sure I found a bug concerning the subfolder recursion functionality of winapp2.ini entries. It is easy to reproduce and in my opinion concerns a very basic purpose of the program, i.e. removing unwanted files from the system.

1) finding files:

- Create a folder "C:\test"

- Create a folder "C:\test\sub"

- Put a file "name.ext" into "C:\test" and "C:\test\sub"

- Put the following lines into winapp2.ini

[Test]FileKey1=C:\test|name.ext|RECURSE

- Press "Analyze" in CCleaner

Only "name.ext" in "C:\test" is found while also the one in "C:\test\sub" should be found (that is the purpose of |RECURSE, correct?).

- Now replace the filekey by

FileKey1=C:\test|name.*|RECURSE

Still the same result.

- Now replace the filekey by

FileKey1=C:\test|*.ext|RECURSE

Now all files are found. Why only when the filename is a wildcard? Doesn't make sense to me.

2) finding folders:

- Create a folder "C:\test\sub1\dir" and "C:\test\sub2\dir"

- Put a file "name.ext" into each "dir" folder

I don't see a way of finding all "dir" folders in all the "sub" folders (imagine, there might be 30 more "sub" folders)

I have tried:

FileKey1=C:\test\dir|*.*|RECURSE

FileKey1=C:\test|dir|RECURSE

FileKey1=C:\test\*|dir|RECURSE

FileKey1=C:\test\*\dir|*.*|RECURSE

Does anyone know a solution to this problem? Or can at least someone confirm that this is a problem?

Thanx for listening!

Mike

you may be able to do it by manually typing up a batch file, if you know how...

Well, I did my daily after-boot-cleaning with a DOS batch file until I came across CCleaner. I thought: hey cool, there is a nice Windows program to replace my old fashioned DOS batch. But apparently not quite <_<

It would be great if the devs could look into it. I would find a functionality similar to DOS's dir-command with /s the most intuitive.

• Moderators
I thought: hey cool, there is a nice Windows program to replace my old fashioned DOS batch. But apparently not quite

I don't think anything will ever completely replace a batch file, at least not on my system.

The devs will know about it see the reply above by MrT.

Instead of a single click to launch CCleaner,

use a single click to launch your batch command file

When your batch file has cleaned the things that CCleaner misses,

then CCleaner will AUTOMATICALLY launch without any further clicks if the batch script ends with

START CCLEANER

Alan

then CCleaner will AUTOMATICALLY launch without any further clicks if the batch script ends with

START CCLEANER

This launches the CCleaner program but not the cleaning process. I usually run CCleaner after boot and don't want to start cleaning manually every time.

Anyway, I am well aware that there are workarounds. However, my original intention was to tell the devs that there is something wrong and they might consider fixing it.

I usually run CCleaner after boot and don't want to start cleaning manually every time.

That is a new requirement, which should be met by adding /AUTO,

i.e.

START CCLEANER /AUTO

My personal preference is to also save several more clicks by NOT invoking a shutdown manually.

Instead of running CCleaner at start-up and then waiting for it to do its job,

I clean everything BEFORE start-up, i.e. at close of business on the previous shutdown.

ALL users do this on OUR computer so free space is maximised because no profile holds temporary junk,

where-as deferring cleanup until start-up leaves most of the profiles clogged with junk.

Additionally it reduces the amount of time and space taken for Acronis to create a backup image of C:\

That I achieve with

START CCLEANER /AUTO /SHUTDOWN

I fully agree with Andavari, Batch files are irreplaceable.

One of my Firefox Addons has 50 different language folders, each with several large files.

Only the 1.5% of the concise English folder is of use to me.

The other 98.5% of the more verbose languages is junk to be removed.

Every time that Addon is updated it also has more additional foreign languages to be eliminated.

I cannot be bothered to edit a special section of Winapp2.ini to additionally remove the new foreign languages as well,

So a simple addition of 3 lines in my batch script will rename and protect the English folder whilst all language folders are removed, and then restore the English folder back to normality.

Alan

The reason why CCleaner does not clean on shut down is that a lot of installs need a boot in order to finish. And deleting the files before they get installed is not a good idea.

But there's another way. :D Start CCleaner. When the animated icon shows in Tray right click on it. Select the option Shot down after Clean. And CCleaner will turn off the PC when the cleaning is done. No need to babysit the process.

:P And no batch file needed...

OK. Let's acknowledge that there are possibilities to use command line switches to automatically clean and shut down afterwards, and that batch files might be indispensable for many purposes. Certainly true. In this case, however, the functionallity of CCleaner includes the discribed (and not working properly) feature (http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/advanced...leaner-to-clean), hence no workarounds/batches should be needed. <_<

So, just to keep in mind my OP, there are strange things going on when recursively searching for files or folders. MrT kindly agreed that someone will take a look at that issue. So let's just wait what they can find out. :rolleyes:

kind regards,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Great! In v2.25 the first problem of my OP is resolved and works as a charm now.

However I still cannot find a way to solve my 2nd problem. I repeat the description here in short:

Concerning: Entries in winapp2.ini file.

Situation: Subfolder tree like "C:\test\sub_1\dir", "C:\test\sub_2\dir", ....... "C:\test\sub_n\dir", where the "sub_x" folders are not known per se and should not be hard-coded.

Problem: Let CCleaner find all the "dir"-folders and remove them (with |REMOVESELF).

In DOS's dir command it would go like: "dir c:\test\dir /s".

However, DOS's rd command doesn't do the job either. So probably this is no bugreport anymore but a feature request.