ERUNT or System Restore

Icedrake

I've been using both for a while now, and I just wondered recently, which one is better? I've heard lots of people having problems with System Restore such as it failing to restore to a previous restore point. And I've never heard of ERUNT having any problems. So, is it better to leave them both on, or keep just System Restore on, or keep just ERUNT on.

• Moderators

Indeed keep using both of them. They both have their good merits. I mainly depend upon ERUNT since most restore operations only need the registry to be restored which is made more valid if you use an installation tracking software to track all installations. Sometimes I find that System Restore makes more of a mess by creating duplicate files with those (2) and (3) tacked onto the end, and it doesn't fully get rid of everything.

System Restore is however good to get you out of some serious trouble that wouldn't be so easy to manually fix, however if it fails (and it does sometimes fail) you at least have ERUNT to fall back on to fully restore the registry.