Software to help protect pc?

Dragazoid

Hi, so I have some software that protects my pc, but I was wondering if there is any part of my computer that is not protected by anything in particular.

The software I have so far is...

AVG Anti-Virus(not the free edition)

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

SpywareBlaster

Is there anything else I should get? Thanks for help and any suggestions!

Also I use Defraggler, CCleaner and UpdateChecker.

Hardware firewalls offer the best inbound protection, but have no outbound protection. That's why I use a software firewall. The best free firewall in my opinion is Outpost Firewall.

AVG is good for anti-virus, but in my opinion the best free AV is Avira AntiVir. If you're willing to pay for AV software, the absolute best is ESET NOD32.

I would also use both hpHosts and MVPS hosts files as they block almost every ad from every website, as well as prevent access to dangerous websites. The easiest way to install and update your hosts file is using HostsMan.

For anti-spyware apps, MBAM is definitely tops, so you're good there. No need to bother with SuperAntiSpyware.

For defragmenting/optimizing your HDD, I would use IObit Smart Defrag.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Hi, so I have some software that protects my pc, but I was wondering if there is any part of my computer that is not protected by anything in particular.

The software I have so far is...

AVG Anti-Virus(not the free edition)

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

SpywareBlaster

Is there anything else I should get? Thanks for help and any suggestions!

Also I use Defraggler, CCleaner and UpdateChecker.

As already mentioned i to would kick avg. I pretty much think it's shite. If you was going to pay for a av i would only suggest NOD32 or prevx

You dont need loads of applications running. Some people like to feel protected.

The best protection is firefox with noscript imo. Having malwarebytes/spyware blaster and superAS running all at once is over the top.

No fate but what we make

Ok so I uninstalled SuperAntiSpyware, and I do have a wireless router. So what's this about Hosts files? Whats the best defragmenter? I use firefox with NoScript installed, but I dont really know how to use noscript. Thanks much for the help so far?

P.S. Also what's the best, not too expensive anti-virus? I got AVG for 3 years for $40, and Nod32 is $40 for one year, which is imo overpriced.

Edit: For defrag, is IObit Smart Defrag, Auslogics Disk Defrag good? Lastly, has anyone heard of Glary Utilities?Is it good?

Ok so I uninstalled SuperAntiSpyware, and I do have a wireless router. So what's this about Hosts files? Whats the best defragmenter? I use firefox with NoScript installed, but I dont really know how to use noscript. Thanks much for the help so far?

P.S. Also what's the best, not too expensive anti-virus? I got AVG for 3 years for $40, and Nod32 is $40 for one year, which is imo overpriced.

Edit: For defrag, is IObit Smart Defrag, Auslogics Disk Defrag good? Lastly, has anyone heard of Glary Utilities?Is it good?

Your HOSTS file basically blocks bad and dangerous sites. it can found (Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc) it changes from OS to OS so you can do a search for it.

Worms can tend to try to manipulate these by go to the wrong IP address when you enter a domain name.

Piriform provide a great defrag. (on this site obviously)

Noscript blocks all javascript/flash/java/frames and loads more. It really is worth reading up as it is a fantastic addon.

NOD32 is worth paying for. so is previx(amazing AV) i would never pay for avg.

Lastly yes i have heard of glarys. I also know people who have come in to bother using it. I would stay clear. same as system mechanic. These all in one applications are more bother then useful. But thats my 2 cence worth

No fate but what we make

My Opinion for your first post:

1. Use an AntiVirus. For free, I recommend either Avast or Avira. For paid, I highly recommend NOD32, and Avira Premium (they are the best). Remember, only use 1 of these products. Using 2 at the same time can cause conflicts.

2. Use an AntiSpyware. I recommend MalwareBytes AntiMalware, or SuperAntiSpyware. You can use both of them in this case if you want, but I prefer to use MBAM (I just like it better).

3. Use a HOSTS file. I use the MVPS Hosts file.

4. Use SpywareBlaster, small but very effective.

5. Use a firewall if you want. I've got a hardware firewall, so I don't use a software firewall, just the default Windows Firewall and my hardware firewall.

---------------------------------------------------------------

For your other posts:

I like both Auslogics and IOBIT, both are excellent defraggers.

I've also heard of Glary Utilities, and lots of people having trouble after using it. I only use Auslogics Boostspeed. Best system optimizer out there (my opinion). You do have to pay for it though but I got it for free through an offer Auslogics had on their website which is now gone (I think).

from the list in Rorschach112's post above, I use

- avast AV, and Antivir on another computer, both are good

- ERUNT & NTREGOPT

- MalawareBytes AS (on demand only)

- Outpost FWL instead of the hardware FWL

- SpywareBlaster

- SpywareGuard (Nobody else in the world apparently uses this anymore, and it never updates, but it has stopped ugly registry changes which got past all the others. It is a good app.)

and also not on the list:

- some virtualization app, such as Returnil or PowerShadow.

:D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Ok so when I need to get another anti-virus subscription, I think I'm going to get Avira AntiVir. Also I don't know which is best, Smart Defrag or Auslogics Disk Defrag? Has anyone heard of or knows anything about...

Advanced SystemCare Free, FreeRAM XP Pro, and RAMBooster? I am curious on whether I should get any of these.

P.S., Where can I get Avira in USA?

Ok so when I need to get another anti-virus subscription, I think I'm going to get Avira AntiVir. Also I don't know which is best, Smart Defrag or Auslogics Disk Defrag? Has anyone heard of or knows anything about...

Advanced SystemCare Free, FreeRAM XP Pro, and RAMBooster? I am curious on whether I should get any of these.

P.S., Where can I get Avira in USA?

Smart Defrag is the best, because not only is it faster at defragmenting, it also optimizes your hard drive by rearranging files for faster access.

Don't bother with the RAM optimizers your listed. However, an excellent one I really like is CleanMem.

To download the free version of Avira AntiVir, see the link I posted in my first post.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Smart Defrag is the best, because not only is it faster at defragmenting, it also optimizes your hard drive by rearranging files for faster access.

Don't bother with the RAM optimizers your listed. However, an excellent one I really like is CleanMem.

To download the free version of Avira AntiVir, see the link I posted in my first post.

Okay, I'll check CleanMem out. Also I don't want the free version of Avira AntiVir, as I already have AVG that will expire in 1 year. But free versions are never good, so I wanted Avira( The paid version), but it isn't in America.

I don't want the free version of Avira AntiVir...............free versions are never good, so I wanted Avira( The paid version)

You are simply wrong about free versions never being good. avast! I know for a fact to be excellent - as good as any paid anti-virus - and from what I have read, Avira is also excellent.

For what you have not already listed, I personally highly recommend the following:

ERUNT (IMO, this is essential in order to be part of the "common-sense" society :) )

NTRegOpt

MyDefrag formerly JkDefrag

WinPatrol

You are simply wrong about free versions never being good. avast! I know for a fact to be excellent - as good as any paid anti-virus - and from what I have read, Avira is also excellent.

For what you have not already listed, I personally highly recommend the following:

ERUNT (IMO, this is essential in order to be part of the "common-sense" society :) )

NTRegOpt

MyDefrag formerly JkDefrag

WinPatrol

What's wrong with Windows system restore point?Also I am going to stick to Auslogics Disk Defrag and Smart Defrag. Also what does WinPatrol do?

Okay so I am almost done getting software. I will switch to Avira Free once AVG subscription is finished. But one final thing...

Is Auslogics Disk Defrag(deletes temp. files before defrag), or is Smart Defrag(Fast Optimize option) better?I need help picking one.

Okay so I am almost done getting software. I will switch to Avira Free once AVG subscription is finished. But one final thing...

Is Auslogics Disk Defrag(deletes temp. files before defrag), or is Smart Defrag(Fast Optimize option) better?I need help picking one.

for daily basis, I use Auslogics after run ccleaner while Smart Defrag still running in background.

I run SmatDefrag with Fast optimize,weekly ;)