Windows 98

maineline

Welcome to Piriform maineline.

Program seemed to install fine. Hung with partial GUI displayed when trying to run program. Older version has run fine for years. Is 98 supported with this version?

Downloaded, installed and ran new version 2.21.

Same results for my system running Windows 98; Program hung with half displayed GUI.

Well I've been using CC on Win98SE for the past 3 years without any major problems. There were problems when you Analyze with the last three versons but these may have been fixed in this new version. I've downloaded it but I haven't tried it yet.

CC still supports Win98SE.

I would start of with the obvious. Which virus checker and version are you using? Do you have any spyware checker installed?

How many processes do you have running after a startup and you can see your desktop only? Do a Citrl+Alt+Del and make a note of the names in Task Manager. How much memeory do you have installed? Right-click on My Computer and read the bottom line.

How many years is it since you last did a format and rebuild? Check the Windows folder date in Explorer. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Ok I've installed CC 2.21.940 and it now works as it should do. It Analyzes correctly (not that I use this option) without crashing. I removed the tick from Adobe Flash Player (which I've always had unticked) and ALL cookies are deleted apart from the cookies to keep. Its now working as it should do so the old bugs appear to be fixed.

So the new version does work on a normal Win98SE system maineline.

Great job MrT, thanks you again. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriform maineline.

Well I've been using CC on Win98SE for the past 3 years without any major problems. There were problems when you Analyze with the last three versons but these may have been fixed in this new version. I've downloaded it but I haven't tried it yet.

CC still supports Win98SE.

I would start of with the obvious. Which virus checker and version are you using? Do you have any spyware checker installed?

How many processes do you have running after a startup and you can see your desktop only? Do a Citrl+Alt+Del and make a note of the names in Task Manager. How much memeory do you have installed? Right-click on My Computer and read the bottom line.

How many years is it since you last did a format and rebuild? Check the Windows folder date in Explorer. ;)

Hi Keith,

Thanks for responding.

I have been using win 98, straight up no (se), looked into upgrading operating system but have managed to keep this system running for 11 years. (I know it's miraculous) reluctant at this time to invest in micro soft operating system upgrade that only could legally be installed once on this old and outdated hardware. You gave me an idea though with the processes. I have an updated version of spybot that now runs in the background. I'll try process of elimination and see if there is a conflict with another process. I'll report findings. Thanks again for your assistance.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for responding.

I have been using win 98, straight up no (se), looked into upgrading operating system but have managed to keep this system running for 11 years. (I know it's miraculous) reluctant at this time to invest in micro soft operating system upgrade that only could legally be installed once on this old and outdated hardware. You gave me an idea though with the processes. I have an updated version of spybot that now runs in the background. I'll try process of elimination and see if there is a conflict with another process. I'll report findings. Thanks again for your assistance.

Later

Disabled every process that might cause issues. Same results. I failed to report that after the hang an error screen appeared with the following dialog... Critical Error has occurred Unknown exception, ccleaner V2.21.940

mswindows 98. 383mb ram, ATI xpert98D AGP2x

That's all. Thanks for the effort. Reformatting at this stage is not an option. If I can supply any other pertinent info let me know.

Judging by your name and how you write I'm assuming your a woman. Don't get me wrong I've nothing against woman its just that they don't answer questions when asked.

Later

Disabled every process that might cause issues. Same results. I failed to report that after the hang an error screen appeared with the following dialog... Critical Error has occurred Unknown exception, ccleaner V2.21.940

mswindows 98. 383mb ram, ATI xpert98D AGP2x

That's all. Thanks for the effort. Reformatting at this stage is not an option. If I can supply any other pertinent info let me know.

How did you disable the processes? I asked you to post a list of all the processes running in Task Manager. Going back to my previous comment a typical woman never answers a question. CC is great for disabling processes on startup.

It appears you have enough RAM for Win98 so I would just concentrate on removing the processes you don't need. Every process that is running is using system resources, memory.

The fact that you haven't done a rebuild for 11 years says that there is a load of crap which CCleaner can't clean on your system.

I will give you a little tip for running Win98. In all the years I've been running Win9x I've used RegClean which it an app that Microsoft made many moons ago for cleaning the registry on Win9x/ME. If you do a web search for RegClean 4.1a, build 7364.1 you will find many sites where you can download this excellent app. What is does is scan the registry for any errors. Any it finds and you click the Fix button it stores the things it removes from the registry into a *.reg file in the RegClean folder. This means if things don't work as they should do all you need to do is double-click the reg file to put the things back in the registry.

Now I asked you which virus checker and version and spyware checker you are using. Again as a typical woman you don't answer the question.

So it all comes back to you. Are you happy the Win98 when its running ok? If so then get Win98SE of eBay and do a format and rebuild and fresh install will work wonders. If you want more help on doing this process then let me know. If your not happy with Win98 then all I can suggest is you start saving your money for a newer computer. ;)

P.S. Where do you download CCleaner from? I always use FileHippo and I've never had a problem installing or running CC.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

The following comments made by Keith are not the sort of comments which should be used to a new poster,

Now I asked you which virus checker and version and spyware checker you are using. Again as a typical woman you don't answer the question.

I asked you to post a list of all the processes running in Task Manager. Going back to my previous comment a typical woman never answers a question.

I am sure you are able to phrase your questions Keith without having to resort to comments like that :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Ok point taken Hazel. Thats my experience of a lot of women.

Sorry maineline. ;)

Your wrong Keith I'm a manly man.

I thought you were offering suggestions for me to look at and try.

I didn't realize you were instructing me to provide you with the data.

There are many other programs that allow you to stop active tasks from running and also disable them at startup so there is really no need to get all superior cute. I know which stuff is running and what runs at startup. Like I said I have had this system running fine for 11 years. I have outdated virus scan programs and use freeware like spybot, winpatrol and Hijack this to manually keep an eye out for weirdness. Works for me. You don't need to instruct me about my computer housekeeping or lack of it. I really don't need your program all that badly.

Your wrong Keith I'm a manly man.

I do apologise my mistake.

I thought you were offering suggestions for me to look at and try.

I didn't realize you were instructing me to provide you with the data.

I was offering suggestions but I needed more info.

I have outdated virus scan programs

For the third time you haven't said what and which version.

You don't need to instruct me about my computer housekeeping or lack of it. I really don't need your program all that badly.

Well if you don't want help from a fellow Win98 user then you're on your own. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best