Deleting files on non-primary harddrive.

Ver: 2.19.900

I ran CC cleaner thismorning, and I thought it was taking a while. I opened it and seen System-Recylcer/xxx-xxx/xx/songname.mp3

obviously thats a bit generic my example. But I didnt delete any songs. Infact I stopped it, and it was alphabetically deleting all of the songs from D:\Music . Bummer. Good job I stopped it right?

I changed the drive letter and ran it again. This time instead of going for my audio it went for my DVD's which I changed from D:\DVD\Movies to X:\DVD\Movies.

So i've now got half albums and half movies. Great.

Why has this happened?

• Moderators

That's my thoughts as well ishan.

CCleaner is hard wired to scan recognized areas of the System Drive, C:\. It would have to be manually directed to scan and remove anything from another drive. I have a D: and an E: drive which CCleaner just will not access without an inclusion pointing it there.

Are you definitely using a legitimate copy of CCleaner Jamie, downloaded from a recognized download site, such as Filehippo or Piriform?

If yes, and if you don't have any inclusions in CCleaner\Options\Include\Add File or Folder, then there could be something else at work here. Have you scanned recently for Malware?

The version was downloaded from file-hippo.

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate 64x

My computer has no trace of malware/virus etc etc. No recent intrusion attempts on my firewall and every file I download is scanned by virustotal.com so there's pretty much no chance of that.

I have three drives, one is vista, one is xp, one is media.

Since this episode, I have formatted my vista drive to try and work out why my media drive was classed as a system recycler folder.

I am yet to run CCleaner until I have managed to back it all up. Then again, backing up a TB drive is a bit unrealistic.

Any ideas why this has occurred. I recently uninstalled http://www.moovida.com/ I had added both of the folders in question however removed one of them again before un-installing. My drives were still fully accessible which would not explain why these files were to be deleted by CC.

Any thoughts?

I also checked my inclusions I don't remember anything being in there. Deffinitly not added by myself.

• Moderators

Just had a quick look at the Moovida faq's

http://www.moovida.com/faq/

Just wondering if when you added and uninstalled one of the folders, somehow the combination of vista ultimate/moovida and ccleaner was not a good one for you.

Is 'my docs' on your media drive instead of your C drive?

Also they seem to have a pretty active support forum going for this newish player, perhaps asking there if anyone else has had a similar problem with it may help us narrow things down a bit.

http://www.moovida.com/forums/index.php

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Just had a quick look at the Moovida faq's

http://www.moovida.com/faq/

Just wondering if when you added and uninstalled one of the folders, somehow the combination of vista ultimate/moovida and ccleaner was not a good one for you.

Is 'my docs' on your media drive instead of your C drive?

Also they seem to have a pretty active support forum going for this newish player, perhaps asking there if anyone else has had a similar problem with it may help us narrow things down a bit.

http://www.moovida.com/forums/index.php

I've got a bit of a bizzare setup.

I have my Vista installation, then I have a mklink /J pointing to my external hard drive which holds my Users folder i.ie C:\users\Jamie is actaully F:\Jamie7 then in F:\Jamie7\Music(or \Videos) agian I use mklink /J to point to my TB media hard drive. Then xp is on a totally seperate hard drive again (mainly used for testing etc.)

So I have 4 hdd in total.

I manually added the media folders myself but as the documentation says

When I delete a folder from Moovida, is it also deleted in my files?

Moovida only shows your files, it does not change anything in your original files. In order to delete files from your media library, you need to remove them in your own tree in your computer.

If it does not actaully modify my files it should not be an issue, I know it build it's own index. I belive this operates much like Itunes.

I've got a bit of a bizzare setup.

I have my Vista installation, then I have a mklink /J pointing to my external hard drive which holds my Users folder i.ie C:\users\Jamie is actaully F:\Jamie7 then in F:\Jamie7\Music(or \Videos) agian I use mklink /J to point to my TB media hard drive. Then xp is on a totally seperate hard drive again (mainly used for testing etc.)

So I have 4 hdd in total.

I use Folder Junctions (which I think is just another name for mklink) and 40% of my System Drive is now relocated on separate partitions.

Acronis knows the difference, and its partition image of C:\ now excludes all these relocated files and folders, and are now 60% the size they used to be.

My Disc Defragger knows the difference, and will defrag C:\ without touching the relocated files.

Pretty well all other applications are deceived, and think the relocated stuff is still on C:\.

I am sure that CCleaner would have the same perception, and will happily delete anything that is pretending to be on C:\.

N.B. Folder Junctions can make a group of folders etc. appear to be simultaneously in different places, as if you have multiple instances on the system. One difference is that if you access through one folder junction to modify a file, then access through all the other junctions will see the same change. If a file is deleted, it is a world wide deletion.

There is a special way to remove a Folder Junction without altering the rest of the system,

but a simple deletion of one Folder Junction will destroy all the destination contents first, and all the remaining Folder Junctions will access nothing.

Micro-soft give specific warning of this hazard, and advise upon protecting against it.

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

Nice one Alan.

I'm pleased you posted this, as I'll happily admit I've never heard of Folder Junctions, and the seemingly complex structure of whatever they are.

You learn something new every day.

Dennis

For over one year I used xplorer2, a free and nice dual pane multi-tabbed improvement on Windows xplorer.

Back in January I came across reparse points and their ilk,

and discovered that xplorer2 could create them for me - no need to fill my hard drive with more software ! !

If you are interested :-

xplorer2 is available from http://www.zabkat.com/

Their user forum has advice upon Folder Junctions at http://netez.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=42073#42073

So far I have relocated 6 major folders away from C:\ to other partitions.

Just in case I should forget what is relocated, I added to each remote folder a file "Used_At.txt".

This states where the data was relocated from, and where it is relocated to.

A simple Windows search on C:\ for "Used_At.txt" will immediately find them and remind me what I did.

An alternative is Junction link magic from http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm

This can not only create various types of reparse points, it can also find them without any "Used_At.txt" tricks.

Regards

Alan

Indeed mklink is the command used to make shortcuts. /J provides a hard folder link. In command prompt you can type mklink /?

It is so handy, it means you dont have to manually change all the default windows storage locations :)

Yes, if I deleted a file in a folder junction, it would be deleted. But I didnt, they were still accessable. CCleaner started erasing C:\users\Jamie\Music\

Odd.

Hi

In post #1 you said "it was alphabetically deleting all of the songs from D:\Music".

The seemed wrong because CCleaner should NOT normally default to the non-system drive.

In post #11 you said "CCleaner started erasing C:\users\Jamie\Music\"

That seems less unreasonable -

CCleaner was cleaning the Drive C:\, but the mklink was redirecting to other drives.

According to post #6 "C:\users\Jamie is actaully F:\Jamie7 then in F:\Jamie7\Music(or \Videos) ..."

I assume any songs removed from D:\Music were the result of another mklink.

Incidentally, "mklink /?" is not recognised by XP Home edition - hence I needed a separate utility.

Regards

Alan

Hi

In post #1 you said "it was alphabetically deleting all of the songs from D:\Music".

The seemed wrong because CCleaner should NOT normally default to the non-system drive.

In post #11 you said "CCleaner started erasing C:\users\Jamie\Music\"

That seems less unreasonable -

CCleaner was cleaning the Drive C:\, but the mklink was redirecting to other drives.

According to post #6 "C:\users\Jamie is actaully F:\Jamie7 then in F:\Jamie7\Music(or \Videos) ..."

I assume any songs removed from D:\Music were the result of another mklink.

Incidentally, "mklink /?" is not recognised by XP Home edition - hence I needed a separate utility.

Regards

Alan

Vista installation is on

C:

Directory junction in C:\users\ - the shortcut is called Jamie i.e. C:\users\Jamie and that points to F:\Jamie7

Directory junction in F:\Jamie7 aka C:\users\Jamie called Music which goes to D:\Music

Despit my music using two junctions it is still accessable by browsing to C:\users\Jamie\Music

If I had deleted the songs, they would be inaccessible regardless of where I accessed them from. This is not the case. I stopped the clean before it wiped all the files. I could still access the other files in that folder.