Kantaris Media Player

Icedrake

Here's another free media player that's like VLC and GOM. It's called Kantaris Media Player, and here's what their website says about it:

Kantaris can play almost anything you can throw at it -- AVI, MPEG, MGEG-AVC, WMV, MOV, MKV, quicktime, matroska, divx, xvid, H264, MP3, WMA, OGG files and more. Kantaris can also play DVDs and audio CDs. The player also displays some of the most beautiful music visualizations ever seen. All this is completely free.

Here's some more info about the player from their about page:

Kantaris Media Player aims to be an all-in-one media player that provides a great audio and video experience. Kantaris is an open-source alternative to Windows Media Player with similar GUI and features. Video playback is based upon Videolan Client (VLC) which enables Kantaris to play almost anything without the need of installing any codecs separately. It features an attractive skin, some nice audio visualizations, and integration with Last.fm and Apple movies trailers

I haven't tested it, since you need .NET Framework 2 to run it. Here is the link to their website: www.kantaris.org

What do you guys think about it? Seems nice!

Downloaded the zip file, unzipped in its own folder, ran it from there. Ran OK, played an example of everything I had, including avi and mpeg4. Like DennisD, I had a virtualizer app running, but I don't think it did anything to the registry or C: drive.

It seems a bit clumsy, still. There have been 2 or 3 versions recently, so I guess he is still working on it. I guess it is a work in progress, worth watching.

Thanks for the information, Icedrake. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
What's your choice for the best all-around single audio/video player combination?

I don't particularly think there's such a best all-in-one a/v player, by best meaning it will play just about anything thrown at it with of course gapless audio playback and be nearly endlessly configurable like MPlayer and Foobar2000 are.

If there were such an application I don't know about it, and I've tried so many over the years, and I'd imagine if any such one application existed it would be rather bloated. There's many all-in-one a/v players out there take iTunes for example but it doesn't support all formats. You can however do allot with Windows Media Player so long as you have the proper codecs installed to allow for playback.