What if I delete all deleted file in my hard disks?

spacedock

What if I delete all "deleted" files in my hard disks?

By using Recuva secure delete

If I delete all "deleted" files under C:\

would it couse Windows system crash or problems?

I am using Windows XP Pro SP3 and the newest version of Recuva

Help plz

• Moderators

What would happen if you ran a normal scan, ticked the checkbox to check all files, and then ran secure overwrite?

If your secure overwrite option is set to one overwrite, you would have to wait for some time. If you have some other (and quite unneccessary) option, you would have to wait seemingly forever.

Would it cause any problems on your pc? I shouldn't think so, but there again I've never done this. If you have a lot of deleted files (hundreds of thousands) then you might run out of resources, but I don't know how Recuva works.

If you run a deep scan and do a total overwrite then you might as well take a few days off while the sun is shining.

• Moderators

I've used it before and it doesn't trash the system. Note that not all files can be deleted with it, such as those residing in the MFT.

Don't use it if you've had Recuva configured to scan for non-deleted files or configured to always show them, now that "I think would trash your system" and can't prove it because I don't dare try. That's my guess about it unless told otherwise by the developer.

• Moderators

I've tried to overwrite an individual non-deleted file - just for the fun of it - and Recuva smacks your wrist. But then again there's no point in tempting providence and no real point in including non-deleted files in the scan, so it would be wise not to.

What if I delete all "deleted" files in my hard disks?

By using Recuva secure delete

If I delete all "deleted" files under C:\

would it couse Windows system crash or problems?

I am using Windows XP Pro SP3 and the newest version of Recuva

This is what I mainly use Recuva for (quicker and less HD wear than overwriting all free space), I do this once a month and never had any issues caused by it.