Need help

stefano65

Hello to all and thanks in advance for considering helping me

I HAD a folder on my desk top with several info personal and work ones ( including a lot of pictures of our new puppy)

that somehow I managed to put in the recycle bin http://forum.piriform.com/style_images/200...icons/icon2.gif

without knowing that 2 days later I run my weekly cc cleaner clean up

yesterday I realized the missing folder

PANIC

I try a window restore,

the folder eventually showed up again BUT EMPTY

is there any way I can get those files back??????

thanks

Stefano

• Moderators

I don't think that sys restore will restore the recycler, it restores system critical files, lots of dlls etc.

If you use CC secure deletion then there's little hope of recovering your lost data.

In any data recovery the first aim is to reduce the chance of overwriting the deleted data, which is of course now free space. That means doing the least amount of work on the pc. System restore - I imagine - would be very careful about restoring system files, so it probably backs up the existing files before restoring the old, and there are a lot of files in sys restore. Sys restore of course writes a whole lot more files when it does its daily checkpoint.

I would first clear your internet temp files from your browser - don't use CC. The theory is that this might give some free space that will act as a buffer whenever any activity takes place on your pc, but I'm open to constructive crticism here.

Secondly download Recuva to another pc or partition, and then to a flash drive. Plug in the flash, and run Recuva.exe from whatever folder it's in on the flash drive. You may find some of your data: recover to the flash drive.

If you have no luck then try a Recuva deep scan. This will take longer and list thousands of files. Plough through them, and recover as you find anything to the flash drive. You can sort on name, path etc, and filter the results as well (you can do many filters on one scan). You may find copies of the data previously created when you edited, or moved data etc.

Data deleted from the recycler may be renamed by Windows. I've not seen any consistency here but it's worth a try. In XP data is renamed to Dcnn.extension, and in Vista to $Innnn.extension and $Rnnnn.extension. Good luck.

• Moderators
Thank you both for the suggestions I'm doing the deep scan from recuva as I'm typing

You're best to not use your computer for other activities until you can find out if the files are recoverable, as putting more files on the disk including those from web browsing could overwrite the deleted files, as could defragging, etc.

Well that's probably what happened since 3 day of work when by from when it happened and I found the forum

the program found a lot of files and pictures but they where ( about 98%) corrupted and could not open them

the not funny thing is that I have 3 different drivers

WHY I didn't back up that folder??????

BAH

anyway thanks again for all the help

sincerely

Stefano