Installed CCleaner and got SPAM auto installed

skysober

I have used CCleaner since it was called Crap Cleaner and did not have a 'version' number... It's a great program and I recommend to the thousands of members on the two sites I host and 5 I tech support on...

But I am getting more and more complaints on the Yahoo Mailware Bar that is auto installed. I know some call it a 'toolbar', but anything that is not wanted, steals precious bandwidth, spies and records everything you do via the yahoo server, (something CCleaner can NOT clean as it is not local,) and was not intentionally installed by the computer owner is MALWARE.

Please - I realize many companies are being forced to try and find more ways to generate a profit, yet even the most beginner student in college programming knows that if you wish to place an OPTION into software, it is not by default installed. Please correct the installation method to where it the Option Box is NOT checked by default. Even Skype corrected this after so many complained.

If any member here has noticed a sudden increase in spam email, it is interesting to note that the Yahoo toolbar, (whom rolled over all server/user information to the government without a warrant again recently,) seems to always coincide with the influx of spam. I'm not saying the Yahoo Toolbar, which DOES send all of your use through it to their server, is the cause of this. That is for you to decide what is actually going on.

For now on all of my sites I am placing a warning next to the CCleaner download link to be cautious when installing it, as well as instructions on how to remove the SpyBar completely from ones system if it has infected their system. The Windows Add/Remove program is NOT available for use to uninstall it, as it does not even properly install itself according to Microsoft standards. Many 'normal' computer users are unaware of how else to rid themselves of it.

But really... Having one of the greatest cleaning tools on the planet, associated with one of the biggest companies that harvests data for advertising companies (and obviously the government as well,) is really quite the oxymoron.

• Moderators

This subject has been brought up many, many times.

Read all boxes when installing any software. All you have to do is untick the box if you don't want it, and have the box ticked if you do.

In these days of hard financial times for everyone, developers cannot be expected to fund applications for us to use for free from their own pockets. Be realistic here. You are given a choice with ccleaner. Use the choice as you will, but folk shouldn't really complain because they didn't read the instructions on install.

Your innuedo about info being sent to Governments by Yahoo and others is old news I am afraid and comes across as scaremongering.

For anyone who didn't read the instuctions on install and get the toolbar, there is plenty of info via google about removing it such as this

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/toolbar/t...toolbar-08.html

Then there is always the slim version

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com