Windows Folders taking ages to load after cleanup

buzzoptima

Hi

I tried finding the answers to this from everywhere I could- with no real experts to answer. And then I found this forum. Thank God! Hope to solve this issue from here.

I run a Windows XP Professional machine (Dell Inspiron) 2002 version (service pack 3) and run Office 2003. I use Cccleaner version 2.11.636

I usually just use cccleaner to delete itemp internet files and cache- but this time I let it be on default and ran it without analyzing.

And that was it. After that all hell has broken loose and my machine has become a nightmare to operate. The problem is that the windows folders are suddenly taking ages to load. The files are ok- internet browsing is ok (I have both firefox and IE installed but usually use firefox) - just the folders are very very slow. I have windows defender and use regular full system scan- and am sure the issue is not malware or virus.

After going through the forum, I found the .reg file in My documents and right clicked to merge- but with little use.

Can you help me with this? Really appreciate.

Update CCleaner. Latest is 2.18.

Did you clean the Registry ?

Are you using winapp2.ini ?

Hi Aethec

Thanks for taking out the time to reply.

Yes updating has been pending for some time. Will do that as soon as I am able to solve this problem of mine

Did I I clean the registry? U mean at the time of using cccleaner? I just kept it at default and did a run. Not sure whether it does that by default

Am I using winapp2.ini? Frankly, I have no idea. After your thread, I searched for this on the computer- and it seems I don't have it.

Is there something I need to install? What could have happened?

• Moderators

There's a huge amount of stuff on this in Google, and a huge amount of 'solutions'. But something is causing it, the problem's finding it.

Is it all Explorer folders or some? Those with pics or without? Are the folders still slow to open after they've been opened once?

Can you use task manager to see whats using resources when you open a folder?

What do you have running at startup? (No, don't list them, do you have a lot?). Can you do a clean boot to run without these applications? Has anything crept in?

What services do you have running? (Ditto above.) Is there anything runing that shouldn't be?

What folder options do you have? (Ditto etc.) Can you check nothing has changed?

This is not a common CC issue, and I can't see what CC could have done to cause it. At a guess it's something that the pc is doing, such as redo all thumbnails or some other display option, or some application conflict, or disk indexing, etc.

There's a huge amount of stuff on this in Google, and a huge amount of 'solutions'. But something is causing it, the problem's finding it.

Is it all Explorer folders or some? Those with pics or without? Are the folders still slow to open after they've been opened once?

Can you use task manager to see whats using resources when you open a folder?

What do you have running at startup? (No, don't list them, do you have a lot?). Can you do a clean boot to run without these applications? Has anything crept in?

What services do you have running? (Ditto above.) Is there anything runing that shouldn't be?

What folder options do you have? (Ditto etc.) Can you check nothing has changed?

This is not a common CC issue, and I can't see what CC could have done to cause it. At a guess it's something that the pc is doing, such as redo all thumbnails or some other display option, or some application conflict, or disk indexing, etc.

Hi Augeas,

*Yes I did check on Google (this problem has been there for a couple of weeks now and I'm checking ever since) but little help

*It is for all explorer folders. With or without pics- the folders are still slow to open after they've been opened once

*I checked task manager- and tried to open a folder- I could see that the CPU usage increased in bursts while folders were being changed

*I actually don't have much at startup and did not change anything in particular

*I did not change anything in the folder options before- but on someone's suggestion- I went to tools->folder options->and unchecked "automatically search for network folders and printers" to see if this was causing it- but it did not do much.

I have a folder where I store all the sofwares downloaded from the internet (I am careful to download only reputable ones from reputable sources). DO you think I could try deleting that folder completely? Will it helo?

Thanks for the help.

• Moderators
I have a folder where I store all the sofwares downloaded from the internet (I am careful to download only reputable ones from reputable sources). DO you think I could try deleting that folder completely?

It's unlikely deleting your download folder will be of any real help, so hold off before going delete happy as it may not even be related to your issue.

1. I'd recommend the following:

2. Run Check Disk on your C: drive to fix any possible errors, here's the official Microsoft instructions to do that:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

3. Please read this post and follow it to determine if it's malware related or not. Even though you've stated you have anti-malware software installed that doesn't mean you aren't infected, therefore you need to find out.

It's unlikely deleting your download folder will be of any real help, so hold off before going delete happy as it may not even be related to your issue.

1. I'd recommend the following:

2. Run Check Disk on your C: drive to fix any possible errors, here's the official Microsoft instructions to do that:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

3. Please read this post and follow it to determine if it's malware related or not. Even though you've stated you have anti-malware software installed that doesn't mean you aren't infected, therefore you need to find out.

Hey

It worked!

I did a Chkdsk and it worked! Damn. A simple fix but half the tech world dis not suggest. I knew I would get the answer here. Andavari can't thank you enough for taking out time to solve this issue.

Bow

Buzzoptima