Defraggler just destroyed over 100 GB of free space! Help!

ErrantWhimsy

• Moderators

Can you reverse Defraggler? No.

H, why would Defraggler be allocating a large file? Does it do this to position moved files at the end of the drive?

EW, did you let Defraggler run to completion? Did you ask to position certain files at the end of the drive? Can you run a search on the drefragged drive on today's date, and see what's been allocated at the time of the Defraggler run, and what size it is?

The first time I ran it, I stopped it after a few hours and a loss of 20 GB because it was taking so long and I needed to move my computer.

Last night I let it run all the way through. Does Defraggler add folders somewhere? I'm not sure what I'm searching for, exactly. It's not like it could add files, so I'm not sure where that space went. What am I looking for?

All else fails, I can just restore my computer to a systemrestore point from last week, right?

Can you reverse Defraggler? No.

H, why would Defraggler be allocating a large file? Does it do this to position moved files at the end of the drive?

EW, did you let Defraggler run to completion? Did you ask to position certain files at the end of the drive? Can you run a search on the drefragged drive on today's date, and see what's been allocated at the time of the Defraggler run, and what size it is?

So I did a little googling after my first reply. It could possibly be because of system restore, actually. I have had this problem before, somehow system restore decided to allocate over 80GB of space to restore points. I have not tested yet whether or not this is actually the cause, but it might be a good theory.

Windows Vista. Gotta love it.

"2. After you run Defraggler in Windows Vista, there is less free hard drive space available.

When you run certain third-party programs (such as Defraggler), Windows Vista creates an automatic System Restore point for security reasons. This System Restore point takes up hard drive space. See this topic for more information on Windows Vista and shadow copies."