Massive loss of HDD free space and extensive run time

Joleca

I'm running Vista Ultimate, checked System Restore and NO new restore points were created.. (As a previous poster was advised that Vista would create restore points with Defraggler)

Before running Defraggler I had 169GB free on the laptop's HDD, after running Defraggler I now have only 139GB free... This is a total loss of "30" GB...

Also, this process took "26" hours to complete.. started at 7am yesterday morning (2/17/08) and it completed shortly after 9am this morning... Is this normal???

Since no restore points were created (which would have used only 1-2GB of HDD), how do I recover the 30GB that is now missing without having to re-format the HDD on the laptop and re-install the operating system from scratch along with all data and programs...

Needless to say, I'm not a very happy camper at this time... This is a new laptop and just spent almost a month upgrading to Ultimate, upgrading Works to Office, importing all Office data from another computer and installing and updating dozens of programs.... This was not an easy task and a full reformat will strip out pre-installed software and programs that are required for proper operation of many of the laptop's features.

~~~~ Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten. ~~~~

• Moderators

Perhaps you might have a read here

http://docs.piriform.com/defraggler/troubl...ning-defraggler

I have also edited your font and colour to something a bit easier for people to read.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Just tried to do a defrag on my new Vista laptop after shrinking the volume and then reallocating it back to the same volume and it was taking forever. Free space was scattered throughout on the interactive chart... Defraggler was using 50-60% of the CPU and it was on 33%-34% for more than an hour. I'll post a debug in another thread or here when I get the chance.

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

Already checked the troubleshooting area of the docs before I posted (after all, that is Plain Common Sense)... There is nothing there that explains how to recover 30GB of missing space... It only mentions that System Restore will create a restore point (which it DID NOT) and that it takes up space... Since this DID NOT happen... how do I go about recovering the 30GB of missing space (yes I know I just repeated myself, but). And, turning off System Restore and deleting all existing restore points, turning off Hibernation and deleting all Hibernation resources did not recover the 30GB that is now missing...

Also, had this running on another computer with Vista.. It just finished about an hour ago (again, took approximately 26 hours to complete) and this 2nd computer is also now missing approximately 30GB of HDD free space... It had 134GB free before running Defraggler and now only has 104GB free.. and it too DID NOT create a restore point..

So need to know what's going on here and how to fix this.. 30GB of HDD space is not something to just be able to toss away... This is valuable and needed space that I cannot afford to loose.

Perhaps you might have a read here

http://docs.piriform.com/defraggler/troubl...ning-defraggler

I have also edited your font and colour to something a bit easier for people to read.

Already checked the troubleshooting area of the docs before I posted (after all, that is Plain Common Sense)... There is nothing there that explains how to recover 30GB of missing space... It only mentions that System Restore will create a restore point (which it DID NOT) and that it takes up space... Since this DID NOT happen... how do I go about recovering the 30GB of missing space (yes I know I just repeated myself, but). And, turning off System Restore and deleting all existing restore points, turning off Hibernation and deleting all Hibernation resources did not recover the 30GB that is now missing...

Also, had this running on another computer with Vista.. It just finished about an hour ago (again, took approximately 26 hours to complete) and this 2nd computer is also now missing approximately 30GB of HDD free space... It had 134GB free before running Defraggler and now only has 104GB free.. and it too DID NOT create a restore point..

So need to know what's going on here and how to fix this.. 30GB of HDD space is not something to just be able to toss away... This is valuable and needed space that I cannot afford to loose.

Have you tried restoring with system restore to an earlier point before using defraggler.

Little hard to do after turning off System Restore and Hibernation and deleting all restore points and Hibernation resources as I previously mentioned doing...

At this time there are NO restore points to go back to, and am still missing 30GB of HDD free space. The only option I have other than a complete reformat is to restore back a System Image made just after acquiring the laptop... which is almost as bad.. Will mean re-installing and updating dozens of programs.. copying all documents, images, videos and .pst files to another drive, copying browser settings, bookmarks (approx 40-50GB of data), before attempting image restore, then reloading programs and copying everything back the way it was...

In other words, not a quick or an easy task. and only possible on one of the laptops... the other one runs Vista Home Premium (so only file backup, not disc image) and was pre-Service Pack 1 when purchased.. So that means reverting back to original factory image.. re-installing all Windows updates thru Service Pack 1, re-installing all programs, data, etc (more than 1.5 years worth of info)...

Have you tried restoring with system restore to an earlier point before using defraggler.

• Moderators

I'm certainly not an expert on Vista or defrag problems with that OS, but just googling your problem came up with a hell of a lot of similar problems, and not caused by Defraggler.

The propensity of problems that popped up in this search tells me this is more of a Vista problem than anything else, and to do with Shadow Copies as well as System Restore.

This link to the Vista Forums re a guy who lost 45gb of space after running Diskeeper.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-performance-...disk-space.html

The following link which appears to lead to a solution:

"I have found the solution!!! It's all because of shadow copies!! right click

on your hard drive, click properties, go to general tab, click disc clean up,

go to more options and then clean up shadow copies!!!! you will get back your

disk space!!!"

Link:

You could also try downloading and installing Treesize, which will probably tell you where your lost space has gone to.

Treesize: (Freeware, XP and Vista)

Another Vista Forum post which informs that "Treesize" found huge folders called [Files], and something to do with "Trusted Installer".

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion...space-lost.html

Anyways, this loss of huge areas of storage is a problem being experienced by a hell of a lot of Vista owners, and many of them discovering this problem after an install of Vista.

I hope this helps in some way.

Hello I am completely new to this forum stuff so if you would please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Anyway I too am running windows vista only I am running Home Premium 64 bit. Last night with trust in your product from the reputation of CCleaner, I downloaded Defraggler. I have lost 19 GB (still counting down) in a 6 hour period. I don't know how this happened. When I started out I had 127 GB of a 220 GB HDD left. Now that I have used your product I only have 108 GB. What is going on! I left this on for only 6 hours and now I have less space than what I started with...this is a bit disturbing. (just a bit-sarcasm) I too like Joleca have read the technical facts and answers or w.e about vista and it states that there is a restore point made. I tried doing the most in-depth search for a last recovery entry (mind that i literally just woke up) and could not find one. I am no expert when it comes to computers but I am not neccessarly dumb either. I just know that I am seriously not happy with what the results are. I just lost 19 GB and havent the slightest clue as to why or how to fix this. I would really like some help, as I am sure that Joleca would too. Any ideas?

Hello I am completely new to this forum stuff so if you would please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Anyway I too am running windows vista only I am running Home Premium 64 bit. Last night with trust in your product from the reputation of CCleaner, I downloaded Defraggler. I have lost 19 GB (still counting down) in a 6 hour period. I don't know how this happened. When I started out I had 127 GB of a 220 GB HDD left. Now that I have used your product I only have 108 GB. What is going on! I left this on for only 6 hours and now I have less space than what I started with...this is a bit disturbing. (just a bit-sarcasm) I too like Joleca have read the technical facts and answers or w.e about vista and it states that there is a restore point made. I tried doing the most in-depth search for a last recovery entry (mind that i literally just woke up) and could not find one. I am no expert when it comes to computers but I am not neccessarly dumb either. I just know that I am seriously not happy with what the results are. I just lost 19 GB and havent the slightest clue as to why or how to fix this. I would really like some help, as I am sure that Joleca would too. Any ideas?

Never mind...haha I GOT MY SPACE BACK! :]] (i feel like a stupid a$$ for not reading the whole forum. haha thanks! the information that was posting above this forum works! :) thank you again....i'm sorry