Double listing of Adobe Acrobat Reader

cc1

As shown in the attached bmp image, Adobe Acrobat Reader is listed 2 times in this CCleaner window.

That would seem to suggest I have two versions of the reader on my system. But, in Windows Add/Remove Programs, Adobe Reader appears only once as version 7.0.9. It also appears only once (also as version 7.0.9) in CCleaner's Uninstall listing.

What does the double listing (6.0 and 7.0) mean and what should I do about it?

ccleanerimage.bmp

Make sure you have a current System Restore point.

Have a look at the registry entry for the reader by using regedit by going to start then enter regedit then click OK then select HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\6.0\AVGeneral then tap Del to remove the entry then end regedit.

I found it by looking in winapp2.ini

[*Adobe Acrobat 6.0]
LangSecRef=3021
Detect=HKCU\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\6.0\AVGeneral
Default=True
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\6.0\AVGeneral\cRecentFiles

Then use Search to look for Adobe to find all Adobe files and remove all the 6.0 files and Folder.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

What does the double listing (6.0 and 7.0) mean and what should I do about it?

It means you have installed 6.0 at some time and then you installed 7.0 later. It doesn't uninstall 6.0 before it installs 7.0. Have a look in Control Panel - Add/Remove and you will probably see 6.0 and 7.0 listed just uninstall 6.0. I know when you open a pdf or a web pdf it will use 7.0 to read it only because thats the newer version. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Make sure you have a current System Restore point.

Have a look at the registry entry for the reader by using regedit by going to start then enter regedit then click OK then select HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\6.0\AVGeneral then tap Del to remove the entry then end regedit.

I found it by looking in winapp2.ini

[*Adobe Acrobat 6.0]LangSecRef=3021Detect=HKCU\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\6.0\AVGeneralDefault=TrueRegKey1=HKCU\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\6.0\AVGeneral\cRecentFiles

Then use Search to look for Adobe to find all Adobe files and remove all the 6.0 files and Folder.

Thanks YoKenny. That did the trick insofar as removing Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 from the CCleaner window. A follow-up question that probably belongs in the Software forum, but is directly related to this thread: I saw a bunch of other Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 subkeys in the Registry when I was removing the one you mention above. Should I leave well-enough alone and keep these other subkeys in the Registry or should I delete them as well? Opinions welcomed.

So your going to carry on using v6.0 and v7.0 at the same time are you? ;)

Keith, your above ^^^ post is a follow-up to an earlier one you made in this thread telling me to look in Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Adobe 6.0. But, if you read my first post carefully, you'll see that I clearly state "in Windows Add/Remove Programs, [my] Adobe Reader appears only once as version 7.0.9. It also appears only once (also as version 7.0.9) in CCleaner's Uninstall listing." It appears only once because prior to my installing 7.0, I used Add/Remove Programs to remove 6.0. But apparently that process left some 6.0 registry keys behind.

So, back to my question regarding the 6.0 subkeys that I saw in the registry when following YoKenny's advice...Should I leave well-enough alone and keep these other subkeys in the Registry or should I delete them as well?

Have you run Adobe Flash Player uninstaller?

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten...rnalId=tn_14157

This will remove the current Flash Player though so it will have to be re-installed.

Older versions of Flash Player where notorious for leaving vulnerable remnants on the hard drive.

Run Secunia Online Software Inspector to show vulnerable applications:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

The other Adobe references in the registry are normal Windows references and I would leave them alone.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Good advice YoKenny...

I was wondering why Flash player showed up twice in CCleaner as well because I couldn't find any evidence of an older version. Well, needless to say, that uninstaller took care of my problem :) Thanks!

Keith

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

I was wondering why Flash player showed up twice in CCleaner as well because I couldn't find any evidence of an older version.

Keith

Flash player doesn't show up twice in CCleaner Keith. I don't read any reference to Flash player made by cc1 in this topic. he has Adobe Player Player ticked which I would remove.

cc1 a little tip for you. Don't upload bmp files as they are far to big and the quality is s**t. Convert it to a jpg file and you can upload it into your text. I also see you running the last version of CC. Haven't you downloaded the newer version? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Have you run Adobe Flash Player uninstaller?

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten...rnalId=tn_14157

This will remove the current Flash Player though so it will have to be re-installed.

Nope. Didn't know about this. Thanks for the info! Actually, I plan to learn a little more about whether I really need Adobe at all. As far as I know, I only use it to read pdf's, so I'm considering replacing it with Foxit.

cc1 a little tip for you. Don't upload bmp files as they are far to big and the quality is s**t. Convert it to a jpg file and you can upload it into your text. I also see you running the last version of CC. Haven't you downloaded the newer version? ;)

Thanks for the tip. Regarding CC versions, in most cases my preference is to wait awhile before downloading new versions of software. B)

cc1, Flash Player is for playing videos for YouTube and the like and Foxit is for displaying pdf files so they are totally different applications for separate functions.

The latest version of CCleaner has a few improvements and if you look in the Announcements there have not been any problems with it other than Windows 7.

IE7Pro user

cc1, Flash Player is for playing videos for YouTube and the like and Foxit is for displaying pdf files so they are totally different applications for separate functions.

Ugh! I knew this. Just had a brain fart moment I guess!

The latest version of CCleaner has a few improvements and if you look in the Announcements there have not been any problems with it other than Windows 7.

That's fine. My style of not immediately downloading and installing new versions of software isn't necessarily because I'm skeptical of the stability of the upgraded product. For me, I just figure "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...at least, not immediately.