My firewall no longer works in my Virus program AVG

joanie707

Hello one and all, I have AVG as my virus program, it is a full program with just about all you need to get along without problems while on the Internet and the thing about is once you install it and set it up it merrily goes it way and takes care of all. Then this happened, My firewall went out, I went in to get help, and lo & behold there was a fix and another file to delete something, I followed all thier instructions to a T, but it failed. I have not been able to get any more support, perhaps this happened to a lot, as I would get a message they could not help me now and to come back, which I have been doing, every day.

I was wondering if I can install and run a stand alone firewall for dummies and if I can what would you recommend.

Thank you

post-18918-1232689363_thumb.jpg

post-18918-1232689363_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

It's not recommended to have 2 firewalls at once Joanie, even if one of them is 'not working'

Have you tried uninstalling the suite, making sure everything is gone, then reinstalling it?

Not sure from your post if you are hinting that there is a problem, as you say you have been asked to go back each day to see if there is a fix?

If you decide to go down the uninstall/reinstall route and it fails to uninstall, there is a tool here

http://www.avg.com/download-tools

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I'm not a fan of Suites as they tend to be a bit too integrated and not very efficient and AVG is not a good anti virus application either.

I like avast! anti virus and Avir AntiVir is also good.

Outpost firewall seems to be highly regarded but I prefer an external hardware firewall that is usually included in the modem needed to connect to the DSL or cable connection.

I do not use a software firewall because of this.

Review the video:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=17348 <== the best part starts about 8 minutes in

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

It's not recommended to have 2 firewalls at once Joanie, even if one of them is 'not working'

Have you tried uninstalling the suite, making sure everything is gone, then reinstalling it?

Not sure from your post if you are hinting that there is a problem, as you say you have been asked to go back each day to see if there is a fix?

If you decide to go down the uninstall/reinstall route and it fails to uninstall, there is a tool here

http://www.avg.com/download-tools

Thank you for your reply, I will give this a whirl. If it does not work I will probally go with Avir, I believe is the name and a couple good malwares. Malwarebytes sounds great. I meant to ask what you all thought of Spybot. It looks like I have a night of it. I do so appreciate evey one in this forum. It is so nice to have some where to go, and get such a response!

Yo Kenny,

I do want to go to Avast or Avir, should I first uninstall all traces of AVG before down loading another ? I had Avir for a short time and was going to go to it when all this happened and I was advised to remove it. In the time you are chaging programs how vunerable are you?

I really enjoyed the video, i learned a lot and am on my way to get malwarebytes malware, it also recommends 2-3 malware programs, what do you think of spybot?

Thank you so much

• Moderators

Joan you can download the installer for avira or avast (whichever you choose) and then remove avg. It is quite important to remove one antivirus program before installing another.

Then after installing the new one click to update it straight away.

On the other hand it is ok to have a couple of anti malware programs such as Malwarebytes and Superantispyware installed at the same time. Both of these are very well recommended as what one may miss, the other usually catches.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Yo Kenny,

I do want to go to Avast or Avir, should I first uninstall all traces of AVG before down loading another ? I had Avir for a short time and was going to go to it when all this happened and I was advised to remove it. In the time you are chaging programs how vunerable are you?

I really enjoyed the video, i learned a lot and am on my way to get malwarebytes malware, it also recommends 2-3 malware programs, what do you think of spybot?

Thank you so much

While you are changing programs do not do any surfing nor open any emails.

I thought you said you had AVG?

You must totally un-install AVG and do a reboot or it will cause problems with the new anti virus.

Spybot S&D has gone downhill and I do not use it any more.

I use Malwareytes MBAM, Windows Defender and WinPatrol.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
Spybot S&D has gone downhill and I do not use it any more.

I update Spybot-S&D far more than I scan with it, however the same can be said nowadays about all the other anti-malware apps I have installed as none ever find anything on my system.