renaming video files

user4

Renaming of video files in the recycle bin doesn't (always?) work properly. Normally renamed files should look something like "zzzz.zzz", but that's not the case for video files (I have noticed this many times).

At the moment DataRecovery can see these file names (these are not the original names):

Dc26.avi

Dc25.wmv

Dc77.flv

There were many more video files in the recycle bin. That means renaming videos works correctly, but not always.

Renaming of video files in the recycle bin doesn't (always?) work properly. Normally renamed files should look something like "zzzz.zzz", but that's not the case for video files (I have noticed this many times).

At the moment DataRecovery can see these file names (these are not the original names):

Dc26.avi

Dc25.wmv

Dc77.flv

There were many more video files in the recycle bin. That means renaming videos works correctly, but not always.

Welcome to the CCleaner / Piriform boards.

Several questions come to mind.

First is why? As in, why would you bother to rename a file you are getting rid of anyway?

Next, are you using the recycle bin for a storage folder?

Finally do you know that CCleaner can do secure deletion? The first link below will show you a couple of screen shots for the settings to change. The second picture will show the choices of how many times to overwrite a file.

https://www.viclovan.com/ccleaner2settings....OptionsSettings

If this helps, please respond to let us know.

• Moderators

i think that the user means that CC secure deletion of the recycler contents doesn't rename all of the files, not that he or she wants to rename them whilst they're in the recycler.

I don't know what actions CC takes when it securely deletes the recycler contents (and I don't think that Piriform are going to tell me), whether it can access and modify the recycler contents directly, or whether it has to do something entirely more messy. How does it manipulate Info2? A puzzle indeed.

i think that the user means that CC secure deletion of the recycler contents doesn't rename all of the files, not that he or she wants to rename them whilst they're in the recycler.

I don't know what actions CC takes when it securely deletes the recycler contents (and I don't think that Piriform are going to tell me), whether it can access and modify the recycler contents directly, or whether it has to do something entirely more messy. How does it manipulate Info2? A puzzle indeed.

From the Changing CCleaner Settings page info about the method(s). I hope you are right about the OP and the renaming thing, but that is why I asked to get a little more info so we can be clear on this situation.

To change CCleaner's deletion method:

1. In CCleaner, click the Options icon at left, and then click the Settings button.

2. Do one of the following:

* Select Normal file deletion (Faster) to delete files more quickly, but less securely.

* Select Secure file deletion (Slower) to delete files more securely, but much more slowly.

CCleaner has four methods of secure deletion: a Simple Overwrite (1 pass), DOD 5220.22-M (3 passes), NSA (7 passes), and Gutmann (35 passes). A 'pass' refers to how many times CCleaner writes over the spot on the hard drive. The more times CCleaner writes to that spot, the harder the file will be to recover by any means. The drawback is that it will take CCleaner longer to complete the job.

For more information, see the Wikipedia entry on the Gutmann method.

- updated the ccleaner link that did not work :blink: sorry 'bout that, I don't know why it was wrong, it was using upper case "CC" in the ccleaner names.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Although secure deletion "destroys" the files (as far as I can tell), renaming shredded video files in the recycle bin (only videos?) doesn't always work perfectly, i.e. renaming is incomplete.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Although secure deletion "destroys" the files (as far as I can tell), renaming shredded video files in the recycle bin (only videos?) doesn't always work perfectly, i.e. renaming is incomplete.

OK!

And just to be 100% clear, which method for the secure deletion in CCleaner are you using? I don't know that I'll be able to find the right answer, but it will help the other members and the folks that write CCleaner to know what is being missed.

Thanks,

Vic

I always use the "overwite once" (or whatever overwriting a single time is called in the english language file) option.

Sorry I have not been back in a few days, I have searched and searched and can not find an answer to this one. Have you tried using any of the other methods to see if there is a change. I know it will take a bit longer, but just for testing purposes it might be helpful. After that, we will have to defer to the boards team to see if anyone else has a solution.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears the problem does not only occur with video files. The following screenshot of DataRecovery shows what can be "seen" after running CC. Apparently audio files are not perfectly renamed (to ZZZ.ZZZ) either.

Still partially visible; mp3 and flv files.

screenshot249tj0.gif

w730.png

off topic: what about modifying the file size as well, like some other cleaners do?