No updates

Canary

A friend of mine has a laptop on to which I have successfully downloaded CCleaner, SuperAntiSpware, Spyware Blaster and AVG Version 8.0.

All of them installed correcty first time, and the internet is up and running, so I know there is no connection problem. But for some reason, none of the programs I have downloaded will allow me to install any updates.

I have done a little bit of research and it was suggestd to me that perhaps there is a firewall problem. But even when I turn the Windows firewall off, the programs won't accept updates.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Canary.

• Moderators

Possible hardware firewall built into the modem, a misconfiguration in Internet Explorer's security settings, or a computer that was previously infected and has LSP issues or a hijacked HOSTS file, etc.

Possible hardware firewall built into the modem, a misconfiguration in Internet Explorer's security settings, or a computer that was previously infected and has LSP issues or a hijacked HOSTS file, etc.

Thanks, Andavari.

Would a Hijack This log be likely to spot the problem?

Canary

• Moderators

Hazelnut means when you go to boot into Windows Safe Mode and choose the Networking support option can you then update while in Safe Mode.

Should I post a log here or in the Hijack This log forum?

HJT log forum of course.