dBan

Tom AZ

• Moderators

I've never used DBAN myself yet, however from the description alone it's a boot and nuke disk for wiping hard disks clean, that includes any data on the disk too. Whereas Eraser can be used inside of Windows itself as a normal file shredder or for wiping the free space on disks.

The Eraser installation version includes DBAN if my memory serves me correct.

Edit:

With DBAN if you have lets say a secondary hard disk that you don't want touched it would probably be a good ideal to unplug it.

I was suggested to use DBAN but I tried installing it to my USB Flash Drive and it came up with an odd error (was a little error window, totally blank).

So I skipped it and used Seagates own software.

Yorkshireman

- [My Twitter Profile: Clicky]

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.

Albert Einstein

• Moderators
I was suggested to use DBAN but I tried installing it to my USB Flash Drive and it came up with an odd error (was a little error window, totally blank).

Maybe DBAN is for usage on a bootable floppy or bootable CD?

• 4 weeks later...
I think it is. At least that's what I understood from my reading on their site.

To confirm

DBAN is supposed to be used from a bootable disk. I use it every so often at work. Have tried several different wipe utilities like GWipe and DBAN

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

Those are the same thing. :P

Darik's Boot And Nuke = DBAN

HAHAHA! Don't I sound stupid. My apologies everyone! But you get my point, it's run off of boot disks

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif