Updating to a new version

cc1

I'm thinking of starting out the new year by downloading and installing the newest version of CCleaner: 2.15.815. Currently, I'm running version 2.03.532.

Why have I delayed all these months downloading newer versions? Reason 1: I like to keep things simple. Reason 2: Everything about 2.03.532 has worked flawlessly for me, including the registry cleaner. Absolutely no hiccups or bumps in the road. Segue to reason 3: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But sooner or later I figure it's a good thing to take the plunge to the new version. I'm asking for expert advice on these three questions from the stellar pros that participate in this forum:

1. Do you concur that I should move on to 2.15.815?
  2. If I have experienced zero/zilch/nada problems with 2.03.532...including registry cleaning...should I assume 2.15.815 will behave just as well? Or, have there been any "aggressive" changes to 2.15.815's performance that may cause me some unexpected/unwelcomed surprises?
  3. Will installing over my old version work or do you recommend an uninstall and fresh install (particularly given how old my current version is)? If the latter, any special steps beyond simply using MS's Add/Remove programs?

Not sure if it matters, but here are my system's details:

XP Pro SP3, Sandboxie 3.30, NOD32 AV, SAS on demand, Windows Firewall + router

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

1. I recommend updating as it fixes old issues, even though you haven't encountered any.

2. The changes made haven't made CCleaner any more aggressive, it's still safe to use. Although the registry cleaning now has TypeLib registry cleaning.

3. You should install over the old version! The reason for this is it retains all of your previous settings and you won't have to reconfigure from scratch.

1. I recommend updating as it fixes old issues, even though you haven't encountered any.

2. The changes made haven't made CCleaner any more aggressive, it's still safe to use. Although the registry cleaning now has TypeLib registry cleaning.

3. You should install over the old version! The reason for this is it retains all of your previous settings and you won't have to reconfigure from scratch.

This almost sounds too simple Adavari. But, then again, that's how I like things.

BTW...what's TypeLib?

Downloaded and installed 2.15.815 this evening. No problemos that I can see. :)

One glitch during the process that was my fault. I use Sandboxie and I forgot that I have my desktop set up as a forced folder. So when I ran the CCleaner installer from my desktop, CCleaner got installed in one of my sandboxes.

Again, I had forgotten about the forced folder setting and was scratching my head for a few minutes trying to figure out why CCleaner wasn't appearing on my actual (unsandboxed) drive. The light bulb finally went on and all is well. (I gotta remember to disable Sandboxie's forced folders when installing from my desktop.)

Thanks again for the input!