WLM doesn't remember my ID & password

NourinE

I have a problem with Windows Live Messenger.

I tick "remember my username and password" in windows live messenger 8.1.178.000. but as soon as I reboot my computer I found that all the boxes are not ticked. I thought it was due to a virus or so; therefore, I ran MSNFix which indicated the presence of infection, then I cleaned it. I ran Hijackthis, Combofix, Anti-Malewarebytes to make sure and found nothing.

I uninstalled Window live messenger from add/delete programmes and removed manually its folder from C:\program files, and its keys from registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall). then reinstalled and no results.

I even tried a newer version 8.5, but in vain.

I also ran system restore and it worked, however after rebooting twice the problem was back.

could you please help fix this problem?

by the way, I'm now using version 8.5

Hmmmm. interesting. I use the beta version of wlm (the newest one out) and don't have that problem. Are you running CCleaner before reboot, or before restarting wlm? There is the option to unclick wlm under CCleaner-applications once you open up CCleaner. Have you ran the registry fix in CCleaner? What operating system are you using? If it's not vista, you could try dial-a-fix (google it) and check all boxes and run it. It worked for a LOT of problems back when i used xp, it is a great little program.

What all did you do to ensure your computer is clean other then mentioned above? Which antivirus, and what infection did it show?

I'm using avast pro 4.8.1296. I scanned with CA antispyware + Ewido 4.0. and every thing is clean.

for CCleaner I use clean before reboot ( CCleaner + shutdown),

I ran registry fix in Cclener

I have windows xp pro service pack 2.

I will unclick applications for wlm in CCleaner then see before using Dial-a-fix. and tell you the results.

thank you so much for your quick answer :-)

Hmmmm. interesting. I use the beta version of wlm (the newest one out) and don't have that problem. Are you running CCleaner before reboot, or before restarting wlm? There is the option to unclick wlm under CCleaner-applications once you open up CCleaner. Have you ran the registry fix in CCleaner? What operating system are you using? If it's not vista, you could try dial-a-fix (google it) and check all boxes and run it. It worked for a LOT of problems back when i used xp, it is a great little program.

What all did you do to ensure your computer is clean other then mentioned above? Which antivirus, and what infection did it show?

A couple of suggestions in your cleaning regimen. Avast is decent, though if you are using Pro (is it paid for?) i would spend the money on Kaspersky or Nod32 for an antivirus. If it's free, I would use avira, i believe it has better detection rates.

For antispyware, I would use superantispyware, spybot search and destroy, and spyware blaster. All free and work great together. Ewido is kind of outdated (isn't it avg now?) and I would ditch it personally. Malwarebytes antimalware is another great program.

Is your windows operating system up to date? I noticed you have windows xp sp2, but 3 is out. Do you have the updates? It's good to keep updated. Also, you could follow the spyware removal tips here:

http://internetrotsyourbrain.com/rridgely/malwareremoval.htm

Then post a hijackthis log (you can get hijackthis from the filehippo site) in the spyware hell section in the forum. That way you can be sure you are not infected which is usually the worst thing.

What might be happening is that if you use CCleaner and then reboot, without unchecking the wlm option, then it is cleaning out your password and login, and then when you try to sign in after a reboot its cleaned? I am just guessing here, but that is what I would do to eliminate the possibilities. :)

Oh and as an aside, if you want a neat addon for wlm try this:

http://www.msgplus.net/

You can enable polygamy, etc. with it. :)

No thanks!

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/msgplus.net

It is in my HOSTS file as well.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

No thanks!

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/msgplus.net

It is in my HOSTS file as well.

I can't imagine why it is red flagged. It is a perfectly legitimate product and is not malware at all. I've used it on lots of computers without any problems.............

When I go to Mcaffees site, it seems the problem is with the optional sponsor support in the install. If you add it you get adware (i'm guessing it's like the option to download and install the yahoo toolbar with CCleaner) or what some consider adware. No malicious findings from what i read there otherwise. 50 million downloads of it so far and it's been around for a number of years. Maybe it is the definition of what is adware? I never install the sponsor option and also, to be honest, i see zero ads while surfing because of the way i set up firefox, and don't use hosts files (found them to be too much of a pain, but i understand the concept and it is a good idea for some).

hmmmm. I'll have to look into this some more.

edit: K, i went to the WOT site with IE and all the comments there have to do with the sponsor install. Must be an issue with the sponsor (i actually don't even know what it is, as i never instal that stuff). sorry if this is a bad link........:(

nothing new, I scanned my computer and found that it's clean.

I ran Dial-a-fix ,and thought that would fix the problem, but in vain.

I think there's something wrong in the registry restriction or so.

1984,please, do you have more suggestions to fix it?

I've never had that problem without the above suggestions fixing it. If it was me I would follow the instructions in the spyware hell forum on this site first, that way making sure that there is no malware that I just wasn't able to find. Once it found to be completely clean then I would google google google till someone could find the answer. I really don't know what else to suggest as I haven't had that problem be as persistent as you.

Have you tried signing in with a different user id?

How about on a different computer to make sure that it isn't user id specific?

Have you tried updating to the newest beta version? It works pretty good.....

Also, you could try signing in under Yahoo as they are compatible and maybe see if Yahoo saves your info.

Ill take a look and see if anything comes up that might help. I hate when i have a persistent problem that won't go away. Usually when it gets annoying enough I just reformat as it takes less time to do that and set everything up then it does to spend days mucking around with each little problem....lol....but I don't suggest it for everyone, I am just impatient with the computer sometimes. :)

First of all get the latest Service Pack for Security reasons.

Then go to http://www.mess.be/

Here, on the left side panel, under "Grab the latest versions of:", Click on Windows Live Messenger 8.5.1302. Rest is self explanatory.

Before installing this; uninstall your previous version and run CCleaner and Fix the Registry based problems too.

Then, install this version you just downloaded. Its clean. And you can get Mess patch from that site. It's the author's site.

It should work.

Btw, do you use any other cleaners that may erase the WLM save files? That might be a reason.

Simplicity is hard.

1-Have you tried signing in with a different user id?

2-How about on a different computer to make sure that it isn't user id specific?

3-Have you tried updating to the newest beta version? It works pretty good.....

4-Also, you could try signing in under Yahoo as they are compatible and maybe see if Yahoo saves your info.

1- Yes, I have. I usually login with two IDs.

2- I tried in different computer and found out that the problem is not with ID's.

3- No, I didn't.

4- Yahoo works good and saves my info, too.

thank you "1984" :)

First of all get the latest Service Pack for Security reasons.

Then go to http://www.mess.be/

Here, on the left side panel, under "Grab the latest versions of:", Click on Windows Live Messenger 8.5.1302. Rest is self explanatory.

Before installing this; uninstall your previous version and run CCleaner and Fix the Registry based problems too.

Then, install this version you just downloaded. Its clean. And you can get Mess patch from that site. It's the author's site.

It should work.

Btw, do you use any other cleaners that may erase the WLM save files? That might be a reason.

I have tried everything, I think this problem has to do with restrictions in registry.

I only use CCleaner.