A Question too Long to fit Here

Yorkshireman

OK, so, I :wub: Recuva. </moment to share that>

How come some files can be recovered, yet others cannot? For example, on my USB flash drive I deleted several images the same way I normally do: Shift + Delete and when using Recuva I get most of them images back but some are in red status/unrecoverable. Why is this? :unsure:

If such a question, similar question, has been answered before please point me to it.

Yorkshireman

- [My Twitter Profile: Clicky]

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.

Albert Einstein

• Moderators

I'm sure this question has been considered before, if not actually asked.

Assuming you mean that the files are actually unrecoverable, and not the Recuva just says that they are? And do you mean that the files are completely unrecoverable, or that most of the pic is recovered and a section is just fuzz?

I dunno. But I guess it's either that some parameter in the directory is altered so that the full or correct extents of the file can't be recovered, or that part of the data on the disk is altered when it's deleted (by writing a free space marker or something) so that the data can't be read properly, or that some field that Recuva is attempting to interpret returns the wrong info. Or that some temporary file is written or allocated on top of the data, but perhaps that is unlikely on a flash drive. Or that some file management software is automatically tweaking the data on the drive when files are deleted. I've run out of guesses now.

Assuming you mean that the files are actually unrecoverable, and not the Recuva just says that they are?

Recuva just marks the files as red and as far as I know that means unrecoverable/not worth trying. :P

And do you mean that the files are completely unrecoverable, or that most of the pic is recovered and a section is just fuzz?

I never tried recovering the file so I don't know the answer to that. :unsure:

I dunno. But I guess it's either that some parameter in the directory is altered so that the full or correct extents of the file can't be recovered, or that part of the data on the disk is altered when it's deleted (by writing a free space marker or something) so that the data can't be read properly, or that some field that Recuva is attempting to interpret returns the wrong info. Or that some temporary file is written or allocated on top of the data, but perhaps that is unlikely on a flash drive. Or that some file management software is automatically tweaking the data on the drive when files are deleted. I've run out of guesses now.

:lol: OK, thanks for answering at least--appreciate it. ;)

Yorkshireman

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.

Albert Einstein

Don't forget to read all the Important Topics at the top of the Recuva Discussion forum like this one.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=14299

Good luck, :) davey

:lol: Thanks. Are you like the bibliography for Piriform forums? :P

Yorkshireman

Albert Einstein

:lol: Thanks. Are you like the bibliography for Piriform forums? :P

Sometimes the data is available but not easily found.

Many members,yours truly included, forget about those Important Topics at the top of each forum.

New members never realize that very important information is available there.

I check back in and re-read every now and then for a refresher. One sentence can provide the solution to many problems or avoidance of many problems. The authors sometimes update them and the update can be missed by many members.

Yes !!! Sometimes I even re-read the forum rules.

I have some interesting soup cans if you are interested. :lol: davey

For example, on my USB flash drive I deleted several images the same way I normally do: Shift + Delete

No point on a flash drive or floppy disk because it doesn't goto the Recycle bin. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Sometimes the data is available but not easily found.

Many members,yours truly included, forget about those Important Topics at the top of each forum.

New members never realize that very important information is available there.

I check back in and re-read every now and then for a refresher. One sentence can provide the solution to many problems or avoidance of many problems. The authors sometimes update them and the update can be missed by many members.

Yes !!! Sometimes I even re-read the forum rules.

I have some interesting soup cans if you are interested.

:lol:

Keithuk, it's force of habit at this point.

Yorkshireman

Albert Einstein