System Temp Files

greyowl2

I am confused about the System Temp File removal. In the Beginner's Guide it states:

Temporary Files

Many applications use temporary files when working to save information. These are normally deleted upon exit, but occasionally they can be left behind. Normally when the program is not shut down properly. This option will safely delete these files. (By default it only removes files that haven't been used in the last 10 days, this prevents current temp files from being removed. There is an option to turn off this feature on the Options window.)

In the Advanced Options, the choice below can be checked:

Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours (This will only remove files in the temp folder older than 48 hours)

Do these parameters work together?

So is the default 10 days, and the option reduces it to 48 hours?

This seems confusing to me?

Please explain this so it is clearer.

Thanks

Um, good spot. I'm not sure, I'm guessing it might be an outdated section of the beginners guide as I think it used to originally be ten days not 48 hours, but I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or deny :unsure:

JD, that sounds right to me. I dont use the 48 hour option and temp files are deleted regardless of creation/modified/last accessed dates. I think the guide needs to be updated to reflect this.

Yes, it has been that way for at least the last year.

Of course the option even works differently than it leads a user to believe. It would help to get this whole matter clarified. :) davey