restoring registry items

arrcher

i made some miscellaneous changes to my computer ran the registry cleaner and saved the registry changes. one software program doesn't work because it says it is missing java runtime environment 1.6 how do I look at the registery back up and pick out what I need to put it back in the registry? I'm reluctant to d*** around in the system registry :(

thanx

i made some miscellaneous changes to my computer ran the registry cleaner and saved the registry changes. one software program doesn't work because it says it is missing java runtime environment 1.6 how do I look at the registery back up and pick out what I need to put it back in the registry? I'm reluctant to d*** around in the system registry :(

thanx

Hello arrcher,

Welcome !!! :D

Did you reboot after using CCleaner ?

Well you already d***ed around with the Registry. It may have caused the conflict but it may be the other changes that you made. The best and easiest is to restore those backups into the registry.

You probably had to run the "fix issues" more than once.

Restore them in the reverse order . That is restore backup 2 then restore backup 1.

Don't forget to reboot after you do this.

If you still have problems let us know.

Good luck,

:) davey

one software program doesn't work because it says it is missing java runtime environment 1.6

What is the name of the program that claims that JRE 1.6 is missing?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

As Davey said "you already d***ed around with the Registry," but it is not unfixable (in fact it may be as simple as reinstalling Java)

do you still have any of javas installed? Go to add/remove programs and see in Java is listed (for most people there will be many many listed and you may want to kill a couple of birds by removing all but the latest version). the 1.6 just means (usually) 1.6 or higher. The latest version for windows is Java 6 update 10 (aka 1.6.0.10)

For further usage of the reginteg section Please read my Signature. The section by section advice in it will allow you not to have to comb through a giant registry backup like you are asking us to do.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 1 month later...
Hello arrcher,

Welcome !!! :D

Did you reboot after using CCleaner ?

Well you already d***ed around with the Registry. It may have caused the conflict but it may be the other changes that you made. The best and easiest is to restore those backups into the registry.

You probably had to run the "fix issues" more than once.

Restore them in the reverse order . That is restore backup 2 then restore backup 1.

Don't forget to reboot after you do this.

If you still have problems let us know.

Good luck,

:) davey

Can you provide a little more explanation of using a registry backup file. Your online help indicates to Right-click on the .REG file created and select 'Merge'.

By default these files will be saved into your 'My Documents' folder.

In another spot in your help files it says:

Right-click on the .REG file and then shows a screen capture saying - Are you sure you want to add the information to the registry

Click Yes to restore the Registry.

MY QUESTIONs are: one of the above replies indicates the saved REG file will be saved into My Documents. Why My Documents and n o the registry? The other says it will be added (nor sure if merge and add are the same thing) - but I would think you would want to overwrite the registry if you had made wrong changes. What does using the REG backup file actually do?

If entries were removed, are they replace?

If entries were changed, are they restored?

Thank you.

• Moderators

When you clean the registry you are asked if you want to make a copy of the entries you are cleaning in case you need them for any reason. You are asked where you would like to save them. The default option is in my documents because that's a good place to keep things you may need.

You cannot save copies of the registry in the registry, so that is why they are saved at another location (my docs for instance) They are saved as .reg files.

If for any reason you have to restore them, you are asked if you want to merge them (add them) back to the registry when you either double click or right-click merge them. This then puts those entries back in the registry as they were before you cleaned them.

It is unlikely that you will need to restore the entries but this is a safety net offered by CCleaner just in case :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

In addition to what hazelnut said you can right click on the .reg file then chose to Edit the file with Notepad and you will see an entry like

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ppi]@="ppifile"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB929399]"DisplayName"="Hotfix for Windows Media Format 11 SDK (KB929399)""UninstallString"="\"C:\\WINDOWS\\$NtUninstallKB929399$\\spuninst\\spuninst.exe\"""TSAware"=dword:00000001"NoModify"=dword:00000001"InstallDate"="20090108""Publisher"="Microsoft Corporation""NoRepair"=dword:00000001"HelpLink"="http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=929399""URLInfoAbout"="http://support.microsoft.com""DisplayIcon"=hex(2):22,00,25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,\ 00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,77,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,\ 73,00,20,00,6d,00,65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,20,00,70,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,\ 00,72,00,5c,00,77,00,6d,00,70,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,00,72,00,2e,00,65,00,\ 78,00,65,00,22,00,00,00"ParentKeyName"="OperatingSystem"

then by using regedit you can navigate to the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

then you can navigate down to where KB929399 will be inserted and manually copy-n-paste the information needed to restore the registry entry to what it was before the cleaning operation began.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• 2 weeks later...
In addition to what hazelnut said you can right click on the .reg file then chose to Edit the file with Notepad and you will see an entry like
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ppi]@="ppifile"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB929399]"DisplayName"="Hotfix for Windows Media Format 11 SDK (KB929399)""UninstallString"="\"C:\\WINDOWS\\$NtUninstallKB929399$\\spuninst\\spuninst.exe\"""TSAware"=dword:00000001"NoModify"=dword:00000001"InstallDate"="20090108""Publisher"="Microsoft Corporation""NoRepair"=dword:00000001"HelpLink"="http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=929399""URLInfoAbout"="http://support.microsoft.com""DisplayIcon"=hex(2):22,00,25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,\ 00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,77,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,\ 73,00,20,00,6d,00,65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,20,00,70,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,\ 00,72,00,5c,00,77,00,6d,00,70,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,00,72,00,2e,00,65,00,\ 78,00,65,00,22,00,00,00"ParentKeyName"="OperatingSystem"

then by using regedit you can navigate to the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

then you can navigate down to where KB929399 will be inserted and manually copy-n-paste the information needed to restore the registry entry to what it was before the cleaning operation began.

I followed up to the point mentioned KB929399 do I copy-n-paste into the file all of the file that has been created by the backup from the notepad and then start over by running CCleaner and make the proper corrections the way I should have from the beginning? Just want to make sure without creating more damage than what I have already.

Thanks

RJMChina

I think Kenny was just using the reg file with KB929399 in it as an example.

The way it reads leads me to think differently, he gives a specific location. Hence does this then mean I should cut and paste the complete file into the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall folder as a folder or into a separate folder and give it a names suck as KB01282009?

Thank you for your time and patience in this matter.

Sincerely

RJMChina

• Moderators

Have you tried start> run and then putting in the word regedit then clicking okay.

When it opens try file>import and browse to your .reg file

You have not changed the name of the ccleaner.reg file in anyway have you?

Also try the .reg association file fix here in case yours is broken. (I am assuming you are using xp)

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Have you tried start> run and then putting in the word regedit then clicking okay.

When it opens try file>import and browse to your .reg file

You have not changed the name of the ccleaner.reg file in anyway have you?

Also try the .reg association file fix here in case yours is broken. (I am assuming you are using xp)

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

I tried as you suggested and will let you know the results after I reboot.

It seemed to work...

Thank you for your time and patience on this. I have been rather busy and have not been on this computer as you can see for a couple of days and yes on this desktop it is xp.

RJMCHINA

I tried as you suggested and will let you know the results after I reboot.

It seemed to work...

Thank you for your time and patience on this. I have been rather busy and have not been on this computer as you can see for a couple of days and yes on this desktop it is xp.

RJMCHINA

It sort of kind of worked. Another problem was that it completely erased all of the system restore points at the same time. I did not run any other programs and when I had noticed that my registry and programs were not functioning correctly I went ahead and tried to restore and this is the first time that there were no points to restore from. They were all gone. So as for me it is another lesson well learned. I appreciate your assistance, the program still has some serious bugs in it that need to be dealt with.

RJMChina