Windows Icons

Tom AZ

What is a Windows XP icon?

August 8th 2005

This article answers basic questions about icons. How do icons differ from images? What's the structure of an icon? How are icons distributed? What's the difference between Windows XP icons and older icons?

To understand this article you should already know basic terms related to computer imaging, namely pixel, image resolution, color depth, and image file format.

http://www.rw-designer.com/windows-xp-icon

The Icon Archive is a categorized collection of high quality desktop & web icon sets. We currently host over 20,600 icons in 744 sets from 179 icon authors. Icons can be used for Windows (XP, Vista, etc.), Macintosh (OSX, OS) and Linux (as PNG Files). Copyright of icons belong to original authors. Public usage license can be found on each icon set page
http://www.iconarchive.com

Google is your friend.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

The free NirSoft IconsExtract can extract all of the icons in a folder and subfolders.

As for some good free icons websites:

With some icons they're only available in PNG format, and must be converted to icons using something like the free Paint.NET or free IcoFx.

In what file/folder are Windows XP icons stored?

Hi Tom.

Well the majority of Windows icons are stored in dll or exe files, something like shell32.dll or moricons.dll. As Andvari says there are icon extractors out there which will allow you to extract them, I've made one. ;)

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

One other question . . . can icons be fairly easily converted into "favicons?"

Well I'm not sure about favicons I've never heard of them. There are apps out there that will compile all your favourite icons into you own dll file, I've had one for years. Then when you want to change an icon for something you click on the Browse button and find your icons.dll. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Well I'm not sure about favicons I've never heard of them. There are apps out there that will compile all your favourite icons into you own dll file, I've had one for years. Then when you want to change an icon for something you click on the Browse button and find your icons.dll. ;)
These may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

I like AM-Deadlink to check Favorites/Bookmarks and keep the Favicons for them:

http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I use Xpize Darkside along with Super Turbo Tango Patcher. I always run the Xpize reloader before I run the Tango reloader so anything both have is Tango. No more nasty xp icons.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

• Moderators
One other question . . . can icons be fairly easily converted into "favicons?"

If Favicons are 16x16 any run-of-the-mill icon making program can make them fairly easily, even if they aren't freebies like Paint.NET will allow you to save in non-standard sizes.

If Favicons are 16x16 any run-of-the-mill icon making program can make them fairly easily, even if they aren't freebies like Paint.NET will allow you to save in non-standard sizes.

That's good to know. I think you're right, the general "standard" for favicons is 16x16.

That's good to know. I think you're right, the general "standard" for favicons is 16x16.

If you want a basic 16x16 icon maker I'll give you one that creates icons, cursors and bmp's, made by Microsoft.

If you want to compile your own icons into a dll I'll post Icondll.com along with the help file if you want it. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Ok Tom here is Imagedit.exe that comes with VB6. The easiest thing to do is unzip the 3 files Imagedit.exe, Imagedit.hlp and Imagedit.ini to your Windows folder. Well you can unzip it anywhere you want too but the Imagedit.ini will always be in your Windows folder. Even if you don't put it there it will write a new file there. I hope your not using Vista as you won't be able to read the hlp file by default, let me know if you are.

I've modied Imagedit.ini so it will make 16x16, 32x32 and 64x64 icons. If you read the help file it will tell you how to do this. So you will be able to make icons, cursors and small bmp's. Depending on how good you are at drawing you can make quite impressive icons with this simple app.

I did a web search for Icondll.com but nothing comes back. I downloaded 10 or more years ago it was made in 1991, if you want it let me know.

Tom when you have downloaded Imagedit.zip and you've tried it just make a comment here and I'll remove the zip file as my attachment space is getting short now. ;)

Imagedit.zip

Imagedit.zip

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best