*.tmp and *.temp files

Capman

Are *.tmp and *.temp files effectively the same type of file or is there a difference?

I am thinking that *.tmp is probably a remnant of the days when file extensions only had three letters, and *.temp is a newer and more definate description.

A bit like *.htm and *.html.

DOS' 8.3 is not a problem anymore, so it's up to whatever program wants to use them. If I was so inclined, I could make a program which uses *.tmp as its data file extension name [and say it stood for 'template'], and any program which seeks out *.tmp and deletes it would destroy my program. That's why I never endorse scripts or programs that seek and destroy certain file extensions.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

They are different then.

I thought .tmp was just shorter for . temp.

But, it seems .tmp files are template files, not temporary files.

Is that right?

Dj, I knew you would be the one to reply to this topic, although I thought there might be some bs replies from others, but please answer in easy to understand terms, not just for my sake but all the other less knowledgeable users out here.

I know how it is to answer questions technically, as people ask me questions relating to electrics, and I reply in a way that makes sense to me and other electricians, then when I see the unsure look on peoples faces, I realise I need a simpler approach.

I guess *.tmp could be shorter for *.temp, but it also doesn't have to be. I've never seen *.temp. Like I said, it's up to the author of whatever software is in question. There's no rule about file extensions. You can call a file whatever you want. I was giving 'template' as an example for my theoretical program where I'd use *.tmp as my data files.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• Moderators
I've never seen *.temp.

Neither have I.

Since so many programs seek out "temporary" file extensions which are deemed "junk" I switched from using *.bak to *.backup in my programs, and to my surprise and unawareness Microsoft also does this.