CCleaner slow to start up

BTD

Welcome BTD

What is the operating system and Service Pack level and CPU type, speed and RAM amount?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

For some reason my last 2 versions have been very slow to open/initialize. It generally takes more than 60 sexonds to open. Once opened up, it works fine. What's wrong?? :(

Hi BTD,

In addition to Yokenny's questions please answer these questions also.

Are you "Stopping, ending, exiting all programs Caput" except Security and Firewall programs before trying to start CCleaner ? {This includes programs running in the background that you may not be aware of at the time. Use Task Manager to check.)

Also some A/V 'Real time" scanners do not get along well with CCleaner because CCleaner does so many things that make it "suspect" to the "scanners'. What did you change in regards to software or hardware 2 versions ago ?

What security programs are you running "real-time" ?

Also some browsers are very slow to stop. What browsers are you using ?

:) davey

Thanx Davey and Yokenny for your reply. You made me think back....I did change from AVG antivirus to Avira. That could be the culprit. Other than that change I'm not having any other probs with my pc, i.e. browswer, etc. I'll shut down Avira on my next c cleaner use and see if that makes a difference. :D

Thanx Davey and Yokenny for your reply. You made me think back....I did change from AVG antivirus to Avira. That could be the culprit. Other than that change I'm not having any other probs with my pc, i.e. browswer, etc. I'll shut down Avira on my next c cleaner use and see if that makes a difference. :D

Whoa !!!

No body is going to think it is a good idea to turn off your A/V "real-time" scanning just to get CCleaner to start a little quicker.

You can do it as a "test" but I don't want anyone to turn off their A/V for any reason if at all possible.

The time it takes to turn off and to turn back on ,if you remember to do it, is going to be just as long as waiting a little bit for CCleaner to start. At least, that is my thoughts.

After " testing" don't make it a habit, please. There are too may "Bad Things" going around to take the risk that you forget to turn it back on. I have forgotten to do this myself on occasions. Luckily I was visiting the Piriform forums at the time. :P

Do let us know the outcome of your "test" but I have not heard of any problem like this with other Avira users.

:) davey

P.S. Your answers to YoKenny's questions at least are important for proper assistance.

My questions are to stir your thoughts but the answers are also needed to help you.

Don't fret. I'll just be doing it as a test to see if it's the culprit. I can live with the situation as long as I know why it happens. As far as Yokenny's questions? IE7, SP3, 1 gig RAM, CPU usage (unsure as how to determine?) Aside from this I'm not stopping programs "caput" prior to using c cleaner. I'm not using it anydifferently now than when I did prior to getting the last few new updated versions. It just stated to behave this way suddenly. :unsure:

BTD

Don't fret. I'll just be doing it as a test to see if it's the culprit. I can live with the situation as long as I know why it happens. As far as Yokenny's questions? IE7, SP3, 1 gig RAM, CPU usage (unsure as how to determine?) Aside from this I'm not stopping programs "caput" prior to using c cleaner. I'm not using it anydifferently now than when I did prior to getting the last few new updated versions. It just stated to behave this way suddenly. :unsure:

BTD

Hazelnut, yes I have auto check for updates but I know that's not the prob. I've always had that checked and it never loaded up THIS slow.

I run the latest CCleaner on my 2.4GHZ P4, 512MB RAM XP Home SP3 system with Avira! Home and it comes up in an instant that is why I asked for the system specifications that is available through Control Panel then System

t1890_ram.png

Or Belarc Advisor:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

BTD

Well this is certainly turning out to be another challenging quirk.

All suggestions so far had showed some promise. I do think you should turn off Check for updates for a couple of days. It could be an ISP or server thing happening now.

Did you have SP3 installed for awhile before this started ?

Could it have started after a "Patch Tuesday" for instance ?

You might also consider installing Visual C++ again . Something may be corrupted. It is quick and worth trying. Take your pick. I use the latest as it has some smaller, faster programs. Do the REBOOT also.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Windows 2000; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista; Windows XP

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista; Windows XP

Later, :) davey

I have actually been having this exact same problem on both my desktop at work, and my laptop at home. CCleaner takes over a minute usually to open. I don't have the Yahoo toolbar installed on either machine. These are the specs of both machines:

Desktop:

Windows XP Professional

AVG 7.5

Intel Core 2 Duo E8300 @ 2.83GHz

2GB DDR2 5300 RAM

250GB 7200RPM SATA Drive

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 256MB

Laptop:

Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit)

Avast! 4.8

AMD Turion X2 RM-70 @ 2.00GHz

3GB DDR2 5300 RAM

250GB 5400RPM SATA Drive

NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G 256MB

I have the very latest version of CCleaner on both machines. Both systems are fully up-to-date including SP3 for XP and SP1 for Vista.

• Moderators

Do you use the full or slim version?

When I say slim, I mean as the slim version here, as opposed to full version with toolbar unchecked

http://www.CCleaner.com/download/builds

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

If you fancied a bit of investigation work, you could always try the slim download (which I and quite a few others use) and see if your problem persists.

It's still a bit slow, but not nearly so much. It opened in about 20-25 seconds on my desktop here at work. I won't get a chance to try the laptop until the evening to see how it works there.

• Moderators

Strange that there should be this problem. Your machine setups are different and unless you use something on both machines that is 'interfering' it's a bit of a mystery.

For most people, including me, it opens instantly.

Let us know how you get on.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Strange that there should be this problem. Your machine setups are different and unless you use something on both machines that is 'interfering' it's a bit of a mystery.

For most people, including me, it opens instantly.

Let us know how you get on.

It just started happening in the more resent builds. I'm not sure exactly which one, but it used to do the same for me. It used to open almost instantly. I actually managed to get into my system at home and had better luck there with the slim version. Startup time was <5 seconds.

On my 2.4GHZ P4 with 512MB RAM running XP Home SP3 the latest CCleaner comes up instantly for me.

t1908_startup.png

What is the graphics adapter type?

In CCleaner go to Tools then Startup then show the Startup applications.

IE7Pro user

Just wondering if you have any sort of program/start up monitor on your systems (apart from usual things like avast, avg etc)

Anything out of the ordinary? Any tweaks ?

I do run the SpyBot resident on both machines, but disabling it seems to have no effect. As far as tweaks, I tweak things all the time, I just did one on Vista to get it to work correctly with Samba. I can't think of anything that would have any effect on CCleaner, and I don't think that there are any common tweaks between the systems. The programs the they share (that run resident) are these:

RealVNC

Daemon Tools

SpyBot

Winamp (agent)

XAMPP (Apache, MySQL, Filezilla Server)

BitMeter

That's all I can really think of.

On my 2.4GHZ P4 with 512MB RAM running XP Home SP3 the latest CCleaner comes up instantly for me.

t1908_startup.png

What is the graphics adapter type?

In CCleaner go to Tools then Startup then show the Startup applications.

Both graphics cards are NVIDIA, as listed in my post with my system specs.

startup.jpg

Try disabling the running applications one at a time.

I bet in order of probability:

1. TeaTimer

2. RealVNC

3. BitMeter

IE7Pro user