VSS Problem

Tom AZ

I'm currently using Windows XP Home. Two days ago, I upgraded from SP2 to SP3 and thought everything was fine. However, because two different backup programs I use are no longer working, it appears that my Microsoft Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS) might have been damaged or corrupted in the process. I have no idea what to do about it -- or how to repair it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

What error is shown in the event viewer if any?

What exactly happens ?

Also (have to ask) have you checked in services that it is started and on automatic?

Seems from what I have read it can be a tricky one to fix.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

What error is shown in the event viewer if any?

What exactly happens ?

Also (have to ask) have you checked in services that it is started and on automatic?

Seems from what I have read it can be a tricky one to fix.

Hi Hazel. No messages/errors in Event Viewer.

Both of my backup programs launch OK -- go through the preparations phases -- but when they start the actual backup process, they just stall -- nothing happens.

VSS is started in Services -- but I have it set to manual -- not automatic (which, by the way, is how it's always been).

That's about all I can tell you.

• Moderators

Doesn't sound good at all. I had that out of nowhere stop working on me years ago back when I used the built-in Microsoft Backup, but never found a solution and migrated to use WinRAR for backups, and now a batch file with 7-Zip.

Doesn't sound good at all. I had that out of nowhere stop working on me years ago back when I used the built-in Microsoft Backup, but never found a solution and migrated to use WinRAR for backups, and now a batch file with 7-Zip.

Not what I wanted to hear!!!

How did you like WinRAR? Looks like I might have to be looking for options.

It is strange there is no error in the event viewer.

Have you tried stopping the service, applying it, restarting it and putting the service on auto?

All very confusing to me too. Not even 100% sure I've properly identified the culprit -- but I'm relatively sure.

I'll try your suggestion. Do you think there would be any value in trying to use one of these apps in Safe Mode?

Hazel . . . it appears that you might have been a GENIUS!!!

I disabled the VSS Service, rebooted, re-enabled the service, rebooted again and . . . VOILA -- it worked. I suppose I should be a little guarded in my exuberance, however, I've only tried it once with each program, but so far, so good.

Thanks a million, Hazel.

• Moderators

No problem Tom.

My three tools to fix anything , re-boot, or re-apply settings or safe mode :) Then I panic if it still doesn't work!!!

Hopefully it will stay on. Good old Microsoft :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com