Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner users can't scan because of Adobe Reader 9

YoKenny

Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner users can't scan because of Adobe Reader 9

Some users reported that they could NOT run the scan using Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner after installing Adobe Reader v9.

Dave (aka drawAblank) help the users by investigating what's going on by installing Adobe Reader 9 and he found out that Adobe Reader alter the security setting of Internet Explorer (without prompting the user) by selecting "Allow Active content to run in my computer" in IE>Internet Options>Advanced>Security.

When the user disabled "Allow Active content to run in my computer" (which is the default setting in IE), the user able to run a scan using OneCare Safety Scanner.

If anyone have the said problem with OneCare Safety Scanner and you have Adobe Reader 9, you might to review the above discussion.

Note: I tried to reproduce the above issue but after installing Adobe Reader v9 while IE is not open and when I use Opera to download the Adobe Reader v9 installer in XP Pro, I cannot reproduce it. The setting here is the same... the "Allow Active content to run in my computer" is still unchecked and I can scan using OneCare Safety Scanner.

Published Friday, August 22, 2008 4:54 PM by donna

http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archive/2008...e-reader-9.aspx

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

I'm using Microsoft Windows Live OneCare the installation version right at this moment testing it out because it's completely free from my ISP. Microsoft has made great improvements in it, with the exception being it's memory footprint of 93,048k at the moment, however I've seen it way above that. Good thing I have the RAM to run it.

I may be keeping it installed since we're going to set up a home network, and it will cover up to three PC's. Then again I may go right back to the featherweight champion AntiVir.