Sharing Folders

tomcatonnet99

Thought I'd post this in Software under Windows as this part is networking and networking security related

Sharing Folders over a network

Got C: shared

1)Now while sharing My Documents results in a blue screen and computer restarting ( too quick to register the stop error ) any ideas anyone who've experienced this ?

2) isn't My documents and Settings under C: anyway? and hence if C: is shared shouldn't all the sub-folders automatically (given the fact that I did check the requisites to meet the above condition )

3) Windows XP OEMs seem to work in different ways on various computers :blink: for one no two computers ( out of the box ) have similar registry set up, under networking I realised one of the computers showed up under 'WORKGROUP' and the other identical specs but a different manufacturer and hence I suppose their installation of OEM had that pc in 'MSHOME'

For them to work networked on LAN they both need to appear under the same workgroup ( which is easy done from the computer name under systems in control panel ) but the point being one shouldn't have to !

Any one on the above with any advice ??

I usually don't explicitly share my "C:\" drive, as it is already defaulted to be a hidden share. Using the "Run" command on a remote computer, you can enter "\\ComputerName\C$" (the dollar sign means it's hidden) and you should be able to access it whether you explicitly share the "C:\" drive or not. You just need to enter the login for a computer account that has permissions to that drive. By default, all of the files and folders on "C:\" inherit the permissions of the root share (in this case, the "C:\" drive), including "My Documents".

The default workgroup name for Windows XP Professional is "WORKGROUP" and Windows XP Home is "MSHOME". The name of the workgroup is more relevant if you are browsing to the share through the Microsoft Windows Network in "My Network Places". If you want anyone to have access to a specific share, you can assign the "Everyone" group to have "Full Control" so they can add and delete files to the share.

Thought I'd post this in Software under Windows as this part is networking and networking security related

1)Now while sharing My Documents results in a blue screen and computer restarting ( too quick to register the stop error ) any ideas anyone who've experienced this ?

Go to start then Control Panel then System then Startup and Recovery Settings then un-check Automatically restart and that should give you the stop error that you can put into Google to see if there are fixes.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

2) isn't My documents and Settings under C: anyway? and hence if C: is shared shouldn't all the sub-folders automatically (given the fact that I did check the requisites to meet the above condition )

3) Windows XP OEMs seem to work in different ways on various computers :blink: for one no two computers ( out of the box ) have similar registry set up, under networking I realised one of the computers showed up under 'WORKGROUP' and the other identical specs but a different manufacturer and hence I suppose their installation of OEM had that pc in 'MSHOME'

For them to work networked on LAN they both need to appear under the same workgroup ( which is easy done from the computer name under systems in control panel ) but the point being one shouldn't have to !

Any one on the above with any advice ??

Hi TOM CAT,

Keep it simple !

Stop creating some sort of inviting corporate/home network that every drive-by PC user may intentionally or not get into your monolithic structure and wreak havoc.

Take the steps to set up a nice little work group called "EvilEmpire" or something similar.

Do this at the same time on each PC.

Then get rid of "WORKGROUP" and "MSHOME" which every evil doer will be looking for to gain entrance to some poor Newbie's network and tickle their files and folders.

This will also help you to avoid testing out every MS subroutine involved in networking and allow use of the more mundane and proven programs.

Establish security codes/keys as required along the way. Let the Wizard programs do all the dirty work.

The "EvilEmpire" workgroup name may be threatening enough to keep accidental passers-by to do some perusing or taking a "home tour".

Why not take the reverse approach to sharing your elaborate "EvilEmpire" files and folders and add the sharing as needed.

YoKenny has given you a way out of your Blue Screen of Death cycling.

A nice simple structure will avoid all the Googling , reading, forum assistance headaches that you are currently enjoying. Sorry about that !!!

You are not far from that objective, now. You will be head "Honcho" of the "EvilEmpire". :D

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. Later, you can rename your workgroup something more appropriate like "CatHouse" or "CatsMeow".

What ever you do, have FUN doing it !!!

Hi TOM CAT,

You are not far from that objective, now. You will be head "Honcho" of the "EvilEmpire". :D

Good luck,

Insure that the Home Network is not visible from the Internet:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

He could even get a t-shirt from http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/item/evil-sm...shirt/192608031

t1465_evil.jpg

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Insure that the Home Network is not visible from the Internet:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

He could even get a t-shirt from http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/item/evil-sm...shirt/192608031

t1465_evil.jpg

I love that T-Shirt. It sure is handsome.

I would also like to have that smiley icon added to our forum repertoire.

Thanks YoKenny, I find you first provided link more useful and important than the others.

I love that T-Shirt. It sure is handsome.

I would also like to have that smiley icon added to our forum repertoire.

It would be a good addition

Thanks YoKenny, I find you first provided link more useful and important than the others.

Thanks.

I'm not as cute as hazelnut though :lol:

IE7Pro user