Widescreen monitor

Corona

I just got a ViewSonic 20" widescreen LCD monitor. My trusty old Panasonic 19" CRT was eating up too many chunks of electricity. It still works great but it is a hog in more ways than one. I think the chassis is deeper than it is wide. And it weighs a ton. So now my desk doesn't feel all that weight on it anymore. Look at this. I can actually pick up my monitor with one hand!

The one thing I'm getting used to is the higher resolution. I was used to 1024 x 768. The new monitor is at 1680 x 1050. :blink: Now when I save or crop or post pics I have to make sure that they're comfortable viewing sizes for most 1024 res monitors out there. Very simple to get used to. And now that my monitor is so light, I can bring it closer to my eyeballs so I can read the tiny tiny font on some blog pages.

Overall this is a fun monitor. (Boy are we having a crazy thunderstorm today!)

• Moderators

That sounds pretty good, and if you're not already, you maybe can take advantage of ClearType.

In XP, Control Panel > Appearance and Themes > Display > Appearance > Effects, and check the second box down for ClearType.

I think it's absolutely amazing, although some prefer the standard display. I could never go back to the standard display.

If you like it, you can download a Microsoft PowerToy to tune it to your own setting, although it's pretty good straight out the box.

ClearType Tuner:

And if you already know this stuff, just disregard this post. :D

My old CRT is from 1996 and still running strong. I think it cost about $1500 back then. Imagine what kind of monitor that $ could buy today. :huh:

----

Oh, thanks. I'll check that out now, Dennis. :)

• Moderators

Mind you, don't mess around inside your old monitor. Not that you would, but people do for spares or whatever, or just curiosity.

Did you know that CRT monitors hold a dangerous electrical charge even after they’re turned off? The charge can actually last up to several years and be hazardous and even deadly to anyone who opens a CRT monitor casing. Then there is the additional danger of radiation.
?

Link:

On my XP Home system I have a TTX 15in LCD monitor that I have had since 2002 that I purchased with a narrow PC desk because where I lived it was a small room and a big desk would not fit that I run at 1024x768.

I don't need glasses to read it but if I am wearing my contact lenses I have to wear reading glasses.

The XP Pro system has a 19in IBM ThinkVision LCD monitor that I also run at 1024x768 which is real nice and sharp.

We have had a few t-storms blow through here in the past few days and they produced real heavy rain but I don't worry about that as I am on the 10th floor up in my apartment but I do like the light show I can see.

The XP Pro system is on an APC UPS system that stops the occasional power blip but the XP Home system is not.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
My old CRT is from 1996 and still running strong. I think it cost about $1500 back then. Imagine what kind of monitor that $ could buy today.

Switching from monitors to TV's, you could easily get a 42 inch LCD TV for that. I wonder what the LCD TV prices will be when everything goes digital in Feb 2009 here in the U.S., hopefully the surge of people buying new TV's will have the prices come down sooner than later and I've already got my eyes fixated on a Sony LCD TV.