Temporary Files

FredG

Windows XP Pro SP2. Only 1 user and I am the admin.

Under C:\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Local Settings\Temp there are 36,735 files, 1690 folders for 5.2gb and under C:\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files I have 2583 files in 7 folders for 45.4 mb. I have run CCleaner and MS Disk Cleanup and neither one has removed all of these files.

How do I remove them and is it safe to do so??

I know how to remove the files manually but I would rather let a tool do it. Why doesn't CCleaner clean them up??

Welcome to Piriform Fred.

Well you could try opening CC and click on Options\Advanced and remove the checkmark from Only delete files in Windows temp folders older that 48 hours. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Windows XP Pro SP2. Only 1 user and I am the admin.

Under C:\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Local Settings\Temp there are 36,735 files, 1690 folders for 5.2gb and under C:\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files I have 2583 files in 7 folders for 45.4 mb. I have run CCleaner and MS Disk Cleanup and neither one has removed all of these files.

How do I remove them and is it safe to do so??

I know how to remove the files manually but I would rather let a tool do it. Why doesn't CCleaner clean them up??

Hi Fred,

I know it doesn't seem like that option that Keith is talking about would work that way.Especially from the way it is described but many times that does trick for most users.I can't say always because there other things that also cause this to happen but that is the first thing to do. I always keep that 48 hr option unchecked. I don't run CCleaner until I consider all work done for that session.

You also asked is it safe to do. I know of no reason why not. What is in there is only temporary.

Have a trash can and a shovel ready for when all those GigaBytes come flooding out of there. :lol:

Let us know what happens,

:) davey

P.S. I forgot to say that as far as the Temporary Internet Files go there will always be a couple of files in there especially if run without closing all your browsers and any programs that access the Internet for updates and such.Most of what is in there should be cleaned.

Of course you have to have those options set for cleaning in Windows Tab and Applications tabs.

I also think I remember reading that CCleaner only removes temp files that haven't been used in the last 10 days. This info may have been in the old Beginners Guide -- don't know if it's still applicable.

Most of these files are time stamped prior to 7/2008 with some going back to 2006. The majority are .tmp files with a few .txt, .csv, .log, etc. Most of the directories end in .tmp while some have names like {F03DCCCE-243B-4944-A808-35A74C2E39C1}. I know I can manually delete the files or be safe and rename them but I am curious why CCleaner doesn't delete them??? The "48 hour" should have no effect since 98% of the files are dated prior to that. It's as if CCleaner doesn't know that the directory exists???

It looks like some of the files are involved with setups/installs while others are used by running programs that are using temp files.

Most of these files are time stamped prior to 7/2008 with some going back to 2006. The majority are .tmp files with a few .txt, .csv, .log, etc. Most of the directories end in .tmp while some have names like {F03DCCCE-243B-4944-A808-35A74C2E39C1}. I know I can manually delete the files or be safe and rename them but I am curious why CCleaner doesn't delete them??? The "48 hour" should have no effect since 98% of the files are dated prior to that. It's as if CCleaner doesn't know that the directory exists???

It looks like some of the files are involved with setups/installs while others are used by running programs that are using temp files.

Hi Fred,

You did a excellent job at decifering those files. Now let's try to clean them out of there.

Like I said please don't go by that description of the option.Think of it more like if the option is on it means don't delete these files if they are over 48 hrs. old and the same if maybe they are less than 48 hrs old. Exactly 48 hrs I can't tell you what it will do.

If you turn the option off it means the opposite maybe.

So turn it off and give it a try . It worked for the last guy that I went through with the same unsure inexact explanation.

I am not saying it WILL work as much as it MAY work and usually does.

The last guy got his GigaBytes cleaned also and after it was all over he still didn't understand why it worked with that description the way it was. It is not how it is described that is important. What is important is what it will do.

If it works great!!! then leave it off for good or turn it back on and accumulate another large amount and turn it off again like a valve.

If it doesn't work when you untick it, then we move on to the other things that may be causing your problem.

So go ahead and untick that option and then do an "Analyze " and you should see those files in the listing to be deleted.

Good luck,

I went back and reread the "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours" . Am just curious if this box is checked it ONLY deletes files in the WINDOWS Temp folder and leaves all other folders untouched??

Hi

1. When is a file older than 48 Hours ?

Answer - when NOW is more than 48 hours after the relevant date.

2. What is the relevant date ?

Answer - I do not know - but here are 3 possibilities I know of :-

a) Created (eg 12 February 2007)

B) Modified (eg 12 June 2008)

c) Accessed (eg 24 July 2008 - YES TODAY - DAMN STUPID WINDOWS)

The three date types appear with the DOS command DIR on nice computers.

Unfortunately with Windows XP there is no proper DOS, only a feeble imitation CMD prompt.

This also has a DIR command, but can no longer show all three dates simultaneously

you have to append option /T:A to see the date (Accessed)

(or append /A:C or /A:W for either of the other dates.)

Using Windows Explorer you can see all three dates simultaneously - if you are very quick,

Unfortunately you don't have to do much more than see a file's name listed for Windows to put access date = NOW

It was a sad day when I had to leave DOS behind and learn to live with Windows.

End of rant

On with life

So, three different sorts of dates. I do not know which is relevant, or if there is any other I am not aware of.

I suspect the relevant date is "Accessed" - this is the date used by "Disc Cleanup" when deciding which files are more than 30 days old and due to be compressed.

Regards

Alan

Hi

1. When is a file older than 48 Hours ?

Answer - when NOW is more than 48 hours after the relevant date.

2. What is the relevant date ?

Answer - I do not know - but here are 3 possibilities I know of :-

a) Created (eg 12 February 2007)

B) Modified (eg 12 June 2008)

c) Accessed (eg 24 July 2008 - YES TODAY - DAMN STUPID WINDOWS)

The three date types appear with the DOS command DIR on nice computers.

Unfortunately with Windows XP there is no proper DOS, only a feeble imitation CMD prompt.

This also has a DIR command, but can no longer show all three dates simultaneously

you have to append option /T:A to see the date (Accessed)

(or append /A:C or /A:W for either of the other dates.)

Using Windows Explorer you can see all three dates simultaneously - if you are very quick,

Unfortunately you don't have to do much more than see a file's name listed for Windows to put access date = NOW

It was a sad day when I had to leave DOS behind and learn to live with Windows.

End of rant

On with life

So, three different sorts of dates. I do not know which is relevant, or if there is any other I am not aware of.

I suspect the relevant date is "Accessed" - this is the date used by "Disc Cleanup" when deciding which files are more than 30 days old and due to be compressed.

Regards

Alan

Peekaboo !!!! I agree with you Alan. I find if I just leave the "TEMP" files alone they do roll out a couple of days later.

Was quite amusing and puzzling at the same time. Especially when some member would report the file not cleaning.

The only way to get rid of it was to tell the user to turn off that option. I am not sure if it would ever go away on some machines because of some anti-virus constantly updating that "accessed" date also. Of course if you tell some one not to do something then you can be pretty darn sure they will do it.

Don't look in those "temp" file folders or directory !!!! Hear what I mean? I can hear everybody clicking away right now. :lol:

P.S. You and I have stirred up a hornets nest!!! Wait until tomorrow.