CCleaner backup option

ck1754

New to forums. Hope I am posting in the right place. The instructions for restoring registry Issues backup say to right click on the file and click Merge. When I right click on the file Merge is not listed as an option. Is there another way to restore the backup file?

Welcome to the forum,

It is possible that the backup was not saved as a .reg file. Try renaming the file and add .reg at the end. Then right click on the file and see if the merge option is there. If not you may have a file association problem. We will need more info like what operating system you are using.

Good Luck,

Jamin4u

Heres a link to CCleaner Beginner's Guide.

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

Welcome to the forum,

It is possible that the backup was not saved as a .reg file. Try renaming the file and add .reg at the end. Then right click on the file and see if the merge option is there. If not you may have a file association problem. We will need more info like what operating system you are using.

Good Luck,

Jamin4u

Heres a link to CCleaner Beginner's Guide.

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

Thanks for the quick response. The file was saved as a .reg file. I am using Windows XPSP2

Welcome to Piriform ck1754.

The instructions for restoring registry Issues backup say to right click on the file and click Merge. When I right click on the file Merge is not listed as an option. Is there another way to restore the backup file?

You don't have to merge any reg file just double click it. It will then ask if you want to add the information in filename.reg to the registry, click Yes.

It sounds like your renamed you backup reg file. We had a similar post the other week no merge option. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

You don't have to merge any reg file just double click it. It will then ask if you want to add the information in filename.reg to the registry, click Yes.

It sounds like your renamed you backup reg file. We had a similar post the other week no merge option.

I believe double clicking and selecting merge are the same thing. They will both open windows registry editor only if it is a .reg file.

The renaming problem was fixed versions ago. I started a topic which was reported by a Moderator to the team.

ck1754 what version of CCleaner are you using and how old is the file?

Jamin4u

Welcome to Piriform ck1754.

It sounds like your renamed you backup reg file. We had a similar post the other week no merge option. ;)

I didn't rename the file. When I double click it, it opens in notepad so it can be read but there is nothing that asks if I want to add the information to the registry.

I didn't rename the file. When I double click it, it opens in notepad so it can be read but there is nothing that asks if I want to add the information to the registry.

Hi ck1754,

I have been there and done that.Seems like a few of us have.

This link starts with a user like yourself.Read it all the way to the end.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=106973

You will get your REG associations fixed.Then you can Merge or double click to your hearts content.You can also just use regedit and import the reg file but let's keep things simple.

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. I am still trying to figure out if the PC manufacturer or PC store installed it that way to prevent us "newbies" from messing with the Registry or not.

I can't tell you if mine was originally that way or not.I do know that I did a few things to prevent other users of this PC from using regedit.exe . I don't want to be fixing up their mess if you know what I mean. :P

I would think if you double click a .reg file it would open the registry editor and not notepad.

If you had a .reg file association problem, you should see a window like "windows can't open this file it needs to know what program created it".

When you hover your mouse over the file does it show file type registration entries?

If not try renaming the file like yourname.reg and see if you can right click for merge, or double click and open the registry editor.

Jamin4u

I believe double clicking and selecting merge are the same thing. They will both open windows registry editor only if it is a .reg file.

The renaming problem was fixed versions ago. I started a topic which was reported by a Moderator to the team.

ck1754 what version of CCleaner are you using and how old is the file?

Jamin4u

CCleaner v.2.09.600 File is from 7-11-08

I would think if you double click a .reg file it would open the registry editor and not notepad.

If you had a .reg file association problem, you should see a window like "windows can't open this file it needs to know what program created it".

What ck1754 is getting is exactly what happens when your REG file associations are gone.

He needs to fix his REG file associations like Andavari and I have said. My link thread shows exactly step by step what he has to do and he will be very happy.

Best wishes,

:) davey

Hi davey, I guess you didn't read my post.

Post #2

ck1754 found something interesting at the page he linked to that may be a solution to some when the .reg file opens in notepad.

If you'd rather make the double click action work to actually directly install the ".reg" file:

Right click on the ".reg" file in Windows Explorer

Click on Open With...

Click on Registry Editor, if it's in the list, or use the Browse button to locate regedit.exe (typically in C:\Windows)

Make sure that Always use the selected program to open this kind of file is checked

Click OK

Now, if you double click on your ".reg" file, you'll be prompted to confirm that you want to add the information in it into the registry. Click OK on that, and you're done.

Jamin4u