What now?

edallen

Everything working beautifully until yesterday evening when I went to turn off the computer. Message states anti-virus program (Trend Micro Flex Square) is still operating, wait. (this goes on forever and ever and never get to turn off the computer). Now - 8 hours later - I am up and take the compter from Standby into working mode. My IPS provider mail address will not download the mail. Hotmail is no problem. Since the IPS provider is somehow tied to Flex Square, I am wonder if I should unistall the anti-virus and either reinstall it or just put on a different program. Haven't done anything yet. Windows Live is my default e-mail; OE message is Ox00CCCP19.

Would an alternative be to forceably turn off the computer, hoping it is a one time glitch??? Thanks for any help; hope I am somewhat clear.

Forgot to say that I can Standby, but cannot Restart in addition to not being able to Turn Off.

This anti-virus program issued an upgraded program one week ago - 3.2 Version - and I downloaded it at that time with no problems.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

What I found out:

0x800CCC19 TIMEOUT

• This is a possible corruption of the pop3uidl file. Close the Internet connection and all programs. Search for the file 'pop3uidl and delete it. Reconnect and it should work
  • Repeat step 1 with a reboot before you check your mail again
  • You may have a corrupt or a very large file attachment on the mail server. Large file attachments, mail that are missing headers or mail that do not conform to the mail RFC's can cause this

Email scanners often cause problems when trying to download emails especially if they have large attachments.

Its best to disable the download scanner as it is a waste of system resources and if you do try to look at an infected attachment then the anti virus application will worn you.

3. Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software.

Antivirus software invades the Outlook Express program to try and intercept (incoming and, in some cases, outgoing) messages that might contain virus. The problem with this approach is that the antivirus software can trigger the destruction of an entire message folder or the entire message store, when it attempts to remove a message containing a potential virus.

http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

OK. I will give it a try.

OK. Deleted pop3uidl.dbx. Still cannot reboot. Cannot turn off. The Virus Program just keeps saying: checking for virus; wait until finished. This has been 24 hours now; never taken this long....

I am wondering about doing a System Restore at some day prior to the time this started (24 hours ago) or still wondering if it is a flaw in the new version of Flex Virus Clear by Trend Micro - new version installed 6/20 and has worked like a dream...

Any other ideas???

Well, the kid from next door came over; managed to stop all running programs, forceably turned off the computer. Rebooted in Safe Mode and fiddled around with it (not very technical, I know!!). Then rebooted in regular mode, ran the virus software which came up with nothing. Connected to the internet; made a System Restore point and I am back in business. He said he didn't know what the problem was, either, but just worked it out. Oh, my... Just not sure I am in the computer age... :lol:

Well, the kid from next door came over; managed to stop all running programs, forceably turned off the computer. Rebooted in Safe Mode and fiddled around with it (not very technical, I know!!). Then rebooted in regular mode, ran the virus software which came up with nothing. Connected to the internet; made a System Restore point and I am back in business. He said he didn't know what the problem was, either, but just worked it out. Oh, my... Just not sure I am in the computer age... :lol:

Hi Ed,

I think your next door kid took a very technical approach.Congrats to him.

Now as for you,I am still not sure you are out of trouble.

The names you gave for you software don't seem to exist as far as my searches yesterday.

I couldn't find any such Trend Micro software.

You may or may not have been duped.I am not sure.

What are the facts behind this AV software?

Good luck,

:) davey

Hi Ed,

I think your next door kid took a very technical approach.Congrats to him.

Now as for you,I am still not sure you are out of trouble.

The names you gave for you software don't seem to exist as far as my searches yesterday.

I couldn't find any such Trend Micro software.

You may or may not have been duped.I am not sure.

What are the facts behind this AV software?

Good luck,

:) davey

Davey, this software is connected with NTT (the telephone company in Japan) and their router. To the best of my knowledge it is only for domestic (meaning Japan in this case) use. It is called Flex Virus Clear (written in hiragana) and supported by Trend Micro. I have been using it since I got the computer over a year ago; it was upgraded to version 3 12 days ago. So, maybe this particular software would not appear on any English sites. Third day since the clean up and still working fine. Hoping it was just something that I did...

Davey, this software is connected with NTT (the telephone company in Japan) and their router. To the best of my knowledge it is only for domestic (meaning Japan in this case) use. It is called Flex Virus Clear (written in hiragana) and supported by Trend Micro. I have been using it since I got the computer over a year ago; it was upgraded to version 3 12 days ago. So, maybe this particular software would not appear on any English sites. Third day since the clean up and still working fine. Hoping it was just something that I did...

Geometric combination of circumstances.Otherwise known as a rare "bug" possibly.

Don't know if I will ever get around to the Japanese lingo.One of these days I will have to try that Google translator.One day it may work for me.There were Japanese links found by Google and about all I could make out was the word "Flex"and "Trend Micro".They must have been the ones.

Thanks for clearing that up,

:) davey The owner of this computer would pull the plug in a heart beat

when anything hung in the past. :lol: