sqm file deletion

YoKenny

After running Windows Live Messenger or Hotmail Live I see quite a few sqm files left over that can be cleaned out by CCleaner's winapp2.ini but the following has to be added in the correct place

[*MSN Messenger]LangSecRef=3021Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MessengerServiceDefault=TrueFileKey1=%UserProfile\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\872637960\|*.*

I could not get the sqm files to delete in the root of the boot drive though?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

@ YoKenny:

Is the part '872637960' in your entry the same on everybody's MSN? I checked my own entry and I have three other numbers in that location.

I'm not sure.

The MSN Live application is not that old so maybe other users can comment on what they see.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

I have no ideal if this will work as I don't use MSN Messenger to make a confirmation, however have you tried something like this for the FileKey1:

[*MSN Messenger]LangSecRef=3021Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MessengerServiceDefault=TrueFileKey1=%UserProfile\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger|*.sqm|RECURSE

I have no ideal if this will work as I don't use MSN Messenger to make a confirmation, however have you tried something like this for the FileKey1:

[*MSN Messenger]LangSecRef=3021Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MessengerServiceDefault=TrueFileKey1=%UserProfile\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger|*.sqm|RECURSE

That will get rid of the sqm files but not the multiple Folders reported by fredvries that may have something to do with multiple Hotmail sign in IDs.

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

My daughter uses Messenger, and Hotmail, and I've got five of those folders, four of them containing hidden sqm files, and of course they've all got different numbers.

A few days ago there was only four. The little buggers are breeding.

A new life form?

This will get rid of them if you make a bat file called Delsqm.bat with Notepad then run it whenever you need to

attrib /s -r -h -s "C:\*.sqm"del /s "C:\*.sqm"

IE7Pro user

My daughter uses Messenger, and Hotmail, and I've got five of those folders, four of them containing hidden sqm files, and of course they've all got different numbers.

What are you breeding?

Little "squirms" are gonna grow sooner or later.What you been feeding them?

Maybe it's an environmental problem.Unplug your PC for a couple of days.Maybe they will die or pack their bags and go to Vegas.

Best Wishes,

:) davey

• Moderators
A new life form?

This will get rid of them if you make a bat file called Delsqm.bat with Notepad then run it whenever you need to

attrib /s -r -h -s "C:\*.sqm" del /s "C:\*.sqm"

Thanks Ken, that worked a treat.