doesn't clean "prefetch" files

FINALLY!!..i've finally got my system to let me post my question on your forum..

i'm running xp on a tower with 1 gig proscessor..

--JUST downloaded the latest c-cleaner,seems to be doing the same thing..i run CCleaner,(3x overwrite)

when first analysed,it finds a bunch of files,but-when i analyse again,it still shows a couple mb's of files from diffrent programs i've run,all with a common "prefetch" word in them..

--is there anything i can do to clean out these files,as they are starting to accumulate,to the tune of nearly 2 mb's..not an unberable number,considering how mutch carp this terriffic program has cleaned out of my system,making it run SOOOO mutch faster and better..

ALSO, i WAS having trouble when the "autocomplete" box was checked,immediately after hitting the "clean" button,my system would do a HARD BOOT ,going all the way to the boot screen,just like i'd hit the off button(but i hadn't)..since un-checking the autocomplete button,everything seems to be both hunkey AND dorey,,,-cept for the "prefetch" thing..

--any thoughts?? ;):unsure:

FINALLY!!..i've finally got my system to let me post my question on your forum..

--JUST downloaded the latest c-cleaner,seems to be doing the same thing..i run CCleaner,(3x overwrite)

when first analysed,it finds a bunch of files,but-when i analyse again,it still shows a couple mb's of files from diffrent programs i've run,all with a common "prefetch" word in them..

--is there anything i can do to clean out these files,as they are starting to accumulate,to the tune of nearly 2 mb's..not an unberable number,considering how mutch carp this terriffic program has cleaned out of my system,making it run SOOOO mutch faster and better..

ALSO, i WAS having trouble when the "autocomplete" box was checked,immediately after hitting the "clean" button,my system would do a HARD BOOT ,going all the way to the boot screen,just like i'd hit the off button(but i hadn't)..since un-checking the autocomplete button,everything seems to be both hunkey AND dorey,,,-cept for the "prefetch" thing..

Hello windtalker,

That is a strange thing related to the Autocomplete Form History.First time I have heard anything like that.

Somebody must be watching out for you or on you.

That data is normally kept to allow you to complete signing-in on some sites.It is also used to fill-in forms automatically on some sites.

You must have some software that prevents it from being cleaned.It could be set-up that way somehow for a "good" reason.

It could also be something "bad".A malware program may want to keep an eye on what you put in there.

You need to look into this.I hope it is just some kind of security software protecting that info.

As regards the "prefetch" files,leave them alone.They are there for a beneficial reason.Windows takes care of that file.Emptying it is not in your best interest.There are many myths about that file.Some old software is still available to clean out that file.Don't use that option.

Turn off that option under the Advanced listing on the Windows tab.

The Advanced options are there to assist Advanced users.Believe me they do nothing to improve performance.

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. Here is good link about XP myths. http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/XPMyths.html

Edited by davey

This sounds to me more like a security question. What I mean is, that it sounds like either you have a security problem in the form of a virus/malware or it's your security program and one or the other is blocking the cleaning. What would be helpful is information about the security programs you use and their versions. Also what service pack are you up to - none, 1, 2, or 3. How often or when was the last time you've run these programs? Also have you recently installed other programs? These things may help us (forum members) try to help you.

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

http://www.viclovan.com/ccleaner2settings.htm

Hello again windtalker,

I missed Vic's comments.

If he is concerned,then I agree with him.

Run some security scans and such.If you don't have any good security software yet use this link.Follow his advice.

http://internetrotsyourbrain.com/rridgely/freesoftware.htm

I failed to take note of your comment about having a hard time to post your questions.

Whatever you do,don't run any "so called security programs" that you did not download from the authors sites.There are a lot of scam sites with free "security software" out there.

Answer Vic's questions when you get a chance.

For the prefetch files, try setting CC to use 'Normal file deletion' as opposed to the 3 pass. There may be a bug or similar with that feature and this will help isolate the problem.

For the reboot problem, more than likely this is related to XP's auto restart option which is enabled by default. When windows encounters an error, the system will reboot. Your only clues to figure out why are viewing the event viewer to see what the problem was and/or disabling the auto restart so that your presented with an error dialog instead. Some times you will get a blue screen error if its hardware related.

Here are instructions

Right click on "My Computer"

Select Properties.

Select Advanced Tab

Click on Setting under ?Startup and recovery?

Then uncheck "Automatically restart"

Here is a site with detailed info: http://somethingcomputers.com/tutorials/xp...r_reporting.htm

Your only clues to figure out why are viewing the event viewer to see what the problem was
I like Event Log Explorer:

http://www.eventlogxp.com

Register for free updates.

Windows XP Prefetch Clean And Control 1.2.0:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2495.html

I leave the setting to the Windows default.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

For the prefetch files, try setting CC to use 'Normal file deletion' as opposed to the 3 pass. There may be a bug or similar with that feature and this will help isolate the problem.

For the reboot problem, more than likely this is related to XP's auto restart option which is enabled by default. When windows encounters an error, the system will reboot. Your only clues to figure out why are viewing the event viewer to see what the problem was and/or disabling the auto restart so that your presented with an error dialog instead. Some times you will get a blue screen error if its hardware related.

Here are instructions

Right click on "My Computer"

Select Properties.

Select Advanced Tab

Click on Setting under ?Startup and recovery?

Then uncheck "Automatically restart"

Here is a site with detailed info: http://somethingcomputers.com/tutorials/xp...r_reporting.htm

Hi Disk4mat,

Good thing we have other clear headed guys like you out there.

I never even thought about Auto Restart being turned on.Never even considered turning it on.

That is what throws a lot of users into the Reboot loop.Just like what happened last month with SP3 non-Intel equipped machines.

I hope that is all it is.It does sound like he just got his system up and running.

Thanks,

Hi Disk4mat,

Good thing we have other clear headed guys like you out there.

I never even thought about Auto Restart being turned on.Never even considered turning it on.

That is what throws a lot of users into the Reboot loop.Just like what happened last month with SP3 non-Intel equipped machines.

I hope that is all it is.It does sound like he just got his system up and running.

Thanks,

--FIRST-- many thanks for the INTELIGENT responses for a screwy little bug..i kinda figured it wasn't anything THAT serious..the prefetch files are starting to accumulate to the point of almost 1 mb !..and ,under normal curcimstances,with the size of the hardrive in most systems-a "wasted" amount of space wouldn't be worth worring about..BUT--with my franken-computer,glued together by a nephew(his old tower-and he took the 40 gig drive,and put in a 10 or so-i forget)-but i start getting "running low on disk space" popups,..c-cleaner keeps my system running JUST FINE ..i was looking for just that extra bit of hardrive space,..when c-cleaner showed me the prefetch files,i thought it wise to ask..--

my system is xp sp2(tried to load 3-not enough disk space!!)..i gig processor,and not enough hardrive space..this is paticurally frustrating,as when he glued it together,he threw in a scuzzy drive,and three other hard drives..the first time i took it back to him,he unplugged the scuzzies,and disabled them(something i'm NOT prepared to do)..he said they were slowing down the system..i'd rather have the space over the few nano-secounds that bugged HIM-not me...can't get him to stop by and play with it-despite it being over two years now..

--his work had him twenty minutes away..he had time to stop and see an old boyfriend-but not me..-but-he did give me the system..am i still allowed to be ...miffed??

..anyway,the autocomplete thing works fine as long as i just leave it unchecked..

many thanks to ALL who responded

windtalker