CCleaner not completing its tasks

I have found this problem with CCleaner 2.07 as well as an earlier version of CCleaner (2.x)--on two separate computers (both running XP). I will click on the button on the lower right corner that says "Run Cleaner," and CCleaner will obviously start, as the blue band across the top appears. However, once that band reaches the right side, it starts up again from the left, as if it is cleaning up my computer for the first time. It will do this interminably, and so I then close out CCleaner, and then start it up again. ANywhere from the 2nd to the 4th time, it will then complete the cycle and give me the final report (as to exactly what files were cleaned out, and how big they were). The computer with 2.07 on it has been doing this for quite a while, perhaps even since the time that 2x came out, through several updates.

Any suggestions?

I have found this problem with CCleaner 2.07 as well as an earlier version of CCleaner (2.x)--on two separate computers (both running XP). I will click on the button on the lower right corner that says "Run Cleaner," and CCleaner will obviously start, as the blue band across the top appears. However, once that band reaches the right side, it starts up again from the left, as if it is cleaning up my computer for the first time. It will do this interminably, and so I then close out CCleaner, and then start it up again. ANywhere from the 2nd to the 4th time, it will then complete the cycle and give me the final report (as to exactly what files were cleaned out, and how big they were). The computer with 2.07 on it has been doing this for quite a while, perhaps even since the time that 2x came out, through several updates.

Any suggestions?

Hello Saul,

That is the way it is programmed.It works just like the bar at Microsoft Update.Just there to let you know it is working.

It is not a Progress bar.You should should see what is being worked on in the listing box.If you are not seeing this,then there is a problem.

The users guide should help you out. http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. If you are using the "secure delete" feature I would set it for only 1 overwrite.I am using an early 2004 Dell Dimension 2400 with only 256 MB RAM.Without "secure delete" I average 1.5-2 secs per MB for Analysis and Run cleaner combined.

Edited by davey

Hello Saul,

That is the way it is programmed.It works just like the bar at Microsoft Update.Just there to let you know it is working.

It is not a Progress bar.You should should see what is being worked on in the listing box.If you are not seeing this,then there is a problem.

The users guide should help you out. http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

Good luck,

P.S. If you are using the "secure delete" feature I would set it for only 1 overwrite.I am using an early 2004 Dell Dimension 2400 with only 256 MB RAM.Without "secure delete" I average 1.5-2 secs per MB for Analysis and Run cleaner combined.

If by "listing box" you mean the window that appears below the blue bar, then no there is nothing in that area indicating anything is being cleaned up. I believe I have stumbled upon a workaround--I almost always have Firefox open when I run CCleaner, so I checked CCleaner not to clean up any Firefox files. I have since run it 3 times and not found this problem again. Perhaps having a program in its cleanup list still running, was causing it to stall??? Don't know but its a possibliity. Anyways, I didn't realize that CCleaner has a secure delete feature. THat will save me a d/l (eraser) next time I sell/donate a computer. Thanks.

If by "listing box" you mean the window that appears below the blue bar, then no there is nothing in that area indicating anything is being cleaned up. I believe I have stumbled upon a workaround--I almost always have Firefox open when I run CCleaner, so I checked CCleaner not to clean up any Firefox files. I have since run it 3 times and not found this problem again. Perhaps having a program in its cleanup list still running, was causing it to stall??? Don't know but its a possibliity. Anyways, I didn't realize that CCleaner has a secure delete feature. THat will save me a d/l (eraser) next time I sell/donate a computer. Thanks.

Hi again Saul,

CCleaner is a "maintenance" type program.Such programs run quickest and perform their job best when no other programs are running.

This is especially true having browsers still running while CCleaner is trying to cleanup Internet related data.

I would suggest the workaround to be not having any other programs running and reset the option to clean those Firefox areas.

It only takes a few minutes to run.

As far as file erasure is concerned,it must be remembered that CCleaner only "erases" those files that it deletes.Not files deleted by other programs.I would suggest that you use another Piriform program called Recuva.It can recover deleted files and also be used to "erase" files.

http://www.recuva.com/

Best wishes,

Closing all the programs that CCleaner is attempting to clean is the way it's supposed to be used. If you're not getting a warning to close the browser and it was open, then one of two things has happened, one and most likely, you've seen this warning in the past and then checked the box not to warn you again, or two, you have a bug where it's not giving you the warning. I would check the Options - Advanced and check to see that the "Hide warning messages" box is unchecked. If it is unchecked, and you're not getting a warning message like I always get, then you need to report that back here or in a new post.

Also it sounds to me like you may have your browser temp folders set with a large amount of space allowed for your web browsers. And I don't know how often you're using CCleaner, I set mine to run weekly, at which time it's needed!

Here are the locations to set the cache in FF and IE.

Firefox - Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cache - this should be set to a fairly small number. I've left mine at the default values and it's set at 76.8 MB of space. I'm not sure how it's figured in FF so your size may be different.

IE7 - Windows Control Panel > Internet Properties > General > Browsing history > Settings > "Disk space to use:". This one is usually set to a percentage of the hard drive size so it can be set to a very high size and should be set to something much smaller like 50 - 100 MB.

IE6 - Windows Control Panel > Internet Properties > Temporary Internet files > Settings > "Amount of disk space to use:". This one is usually set to a percentage of the hard drive size so it can be set to a very high size and should be set to something much smaller like 50 - 100 MB.

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

http://www.viclovan.com/ccleaner2settings.htm