How do I delete the icons in the taskbar by the clock, I know I did it with cccleaner some how?

JOE.G

JOE.G, welcome.

I like PastIconsFlusher because explorer.exe must be stopped and the registry entries for the tray icons flushed then restart explorer.exe:

http://prm753.bchea.org/software.html

I prefer to run PastIconsFlusher then reboot.

While you are there you should get JavaRa

JavaRa is a small program that checks for updates of the Java JRE and removes old potentially vulnerable versions. Simply click "Check for Updates" or "Remove Older Versions" to start the process.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Welcome to Piriform JOE.G.

Hi,i remember a while ago I was able to do it after I ran CCleaner,i just want to remove some unused ones. win XP

you go in to a hkey setting I just forgot which one, anyideas? thanks

I've never know CCleaner do this maybe because I don't have any icons in the systray. The reason you have these icons is because you have apps running in the background. You need to remove these apps from Windows startup or from Start\Programs\Startup. If you don't need them running then why have them running.

Tools/Startup will show you want is running when Windows starts up, but becareful what you remove, something can be important. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Hi,i remember a while ago I was able to do it after I ran CCleaner,i just want to remove some unused ones. win XP

you go in to a hkey setting I just forgot which one, anyideas? thanks

Hi Joe,

You can do it with CCleaner Advanced option in the cleaner but this also clears and resets many settings that you probably want to keep.

Instead use Kellys Korner http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm Bookmark and Save to Favorites. you will use it often.

You can then use Google search to search the website for things that need fixing etc.

This is the main web page.Click on Tweaks in the Left selection column.Scroll to Line 53 click on the left hand option

53. Remove Past Items From Notification Area .I save this in a folder in My Documents and use it when I need it.

The option on the right I use also.It's nice to be able to change things back and forth.

:) davey

P.S. As you can see we are not exactly sure what you are trying to do with the icons.

Some icons can just be hidden when they are not being used.

Remember you can just right click on the Task Bar and select Properties and click on Hide Inactive Icons and use the Customize button to customize how you want certain icons to be handled.

PastIconsFlusher works really well, I just tried it a few minutes ago. It was a big help, my past programs was getting pretty crowded.

Kelly's and Doug Knox's fix doesn't require rebooting.

Yeah ,it is surprising how long that list can get.Especially when you have been installing and uninstalling a lot of things like you have been doing lately.

The past tray is pretty full, I also would like to keep somethings from starting, could you post a link or tell me what I def do not want to disable from running during start up. Thanks a lot guys your help has been great.

The past tray is pretty full, I also would like to keep somethings from starting, could you post a link or tell me what I def do not want to disable from running during start up. Thanks a lot guys your help has been great.

I like Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

I'm happy you like the support here so tell your family and friends about this spot.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Hi Joe,

The Startup Control Panel recommended by YoKenny looks pretty neat to me.I think I will give it a try myself.

Many of the items listed in your Start-up entries can be disabled.They will normally start-up when needed.

Most of them are put there by software vendors who want their products to appear faster than their competitors products.

With the tool that was recommended you can disable/enable as you wish.

Don't disable important items like security programs from starting immediately.You may want to disable one to enable another but most times you want at least one running.

Don't disable things you want to automatically start-up like ERUNT or some message programs.

Same goes for maybe a modem or such.

As you can see most things can be left to start-up when they are needed.

Hope your Start-up time decreases dramatically for you as it did for me.(Especially stopping all the E.T. phone home programs)

My Start-up enabled entries list is 4 items.I don't auto-start any maintenance programs other than ERUNT.

Good luck,

P.S. Many icons will no longer show up in your tray once you disable their Start-up entry.So you can have your cake and eat it too!!! No uninstalling things that you may surprisingly need later.

I know in 98 SE I go to run msconfig and there is my list, am I able to do that in XP? If I diable them will teh icon disapprear in teh system tray, or what ever it is called by the clock? thanks

I know in 98 SE I go to run msconfig and there is my list, am I able to do that in XP? If I diable them will teh icon disapprear in teh system tray, or what ever it is called by the clock? thanks

Hi again Joe,

Msconfig is more for temporary purposes.I know there are those that say they have been using it for years and it is fine by them.

Msconfig does things most people don't know about.It can get you into a lot of trouble.

For more convincing reasons check out Black Viper.

http://www.blackviper.com/Admin/searchsite...;sa=Search#1158

Well most users never get into "disabling" anything.When they do they are much better off using a program specifically designed for specific tasks.

When it comes to Start-up items the safest method is using a Start-up manager product.Also they may have many more features built in.They have been designed to "keep you out of trouble".

The product recommended by YoKenny seems to be relatively simple and small.I would try it.

The product that I use is larger but it helps in many more areas such as Processes,Services and more.

It is called What's Running.Many members are using this utility program.

It makes it very simple to Enable or Disable start-up items.

Just start the program and click on "Startup" then make your changes.

You can get this program at this link.

http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/main.aspx

Try them both.Make sure to re-enable all items in one program to be able to disable and test with the other.

Good luck,

Yes msconfig is used in WinXP. I think the beauty of msconfig is it has tick marked by each application that runs on startup. So you untick them and do a restart, if things don't work how they should them you run msconfig again and put a few ticks back in. I'm only assuming this as I've no need to use it. I remove my unwanted apps with CCleaner. I don't know if they are unticked they get removed from startup as CCleaner does.

If you disable these icons you can normally start them again from something in Programs. You would have to read each line of msconfig or CCleaner Tools\Startup to see what is being run and with what switches. You could make your own short-cuts for these items on your desktop.

Yes the section by the clock is called Systray (System Tray) in WinXP I think its called Mctray which you need running. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

JOE.G, welcome.

I like PastIconsFlusher because explorer.exe must be stopped and the registry entries for the tray icons flushed then restart explorer.exe:

http://prm753.bchea.org/software.html

I prefer to run PastIconsFlusher then reboot.

While you are there you should get JavaRa

YoKenny:

I downloaded an ran PastIconsFlusher and it did remove all of the Past Icons. But now the Hide inactive icons does not work, and yes I have the box checked. Any ideas.

:( Charlesn56

YoKenny:

I downloaded an ran PastIconsFlusher and it did remove all of the Past Icons. But now the Hide inactive icons does not work, and yes I have the box checked. Any ideas.

Hi Charles,

With some of these methods everything returns to normal after log off or Reboot.

If not come back.

Well Joe the newest version of CCleaner 2.08 has the option to Enable or Disable Start-up items.

Great timing!!!

Thanks MrG!!!

YoKenny:

I just used it and the same has happened to me, i have also rebooted to make sure and still the "Hide inactive icons does not work" is this a problem for everyone who has used this ?

regards................

I just used it and the same has happened to me, i have also rebooted to make sure and still the "Hide inactive icons does not work" is this a problem for everyone who has used this ?

regards................

Hi hotrod,

I personally use what I wrote in post # 4 http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=103828

I use both tools on line #53.

Both work without rebooting.However a reboot is necessary to reactivate Hide inactive icons sometimes.The System Tray or Notification Area whatever you want to call it is finicky sometimes.This may be the same with what you used.

Well Joe the newest version of CCleaner 2.08 has the option to Enable or Disable Start-up items.

Where is that Davey? I don't see it anywhere. ;)

post-13005-1212192955_thumb.jpg

post-13005-1212192955_thumb.jpg

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

The System Tray or Notification Area whatever you want to call it is finicky sometimes.

I find it is finicky all the time.

Sometimes I mark an item to show all the time then after a few reboots the icon disappears and when I check its setting is back to Hide when inactive. :unsure:

IE7Pro user

I find it is finicky all the time.

Sometimes I mark an item to show all the time then after a few reboots the icon disappears and when I check its setting is back to Hide when inactive. :unsure:

:lol::lol: I have to agree 100%. And I thought it was just a "local" problem!!! :) davey

P.S. My chevron comes and goes and sometimes is replaced for awhile with a "blank" square spot if you know what I mean.

After a day or two everything settles down until I play around with the tray area again for testing reasons.

Once it is settled then I use the save settings VBS from Doug Knox. :P

I think when I was using SP3 beta the tray icons were stacked 2-up.

Hi hotrod,

I personally use what I wrote in post # 4 http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=103828

I use both tools on line #53.

Both work without rebooting.However a reboot is necessary to reactivate Hide inactive icons sometimes.The System Tray or Notification Area whatever you want to call it is finicky sometimes.This may be the same with what you used.

Thanks for your reply Davey, but its all working OK now. I guess i just panicked

Regards