Some major anti-virus vendors fail VB100?s latest test

Humpty

Security vendors such as McAfee, Sophos, Trend Micro, BitDefender and Avast have failed VB100?s anti-virus, anti-malware test on Vista SP1, while Symantec?s Norton Anti-Virus, AVG, Kaspersky and, surprisingly, Microsoft?s OneCare, have passed the test with flying colours.

Roberts notes that ?With all respect to the folks at VB, who provide a valuable service to the antimalware industry, part of this is marketing. Certifications like the VB100 add prestige and visibility to the magazine and help with subscriptions, and nothing drives attention in the press like a little controversy. Ordinarilly, VB100 ratings wouldn?t get a mention. With some big vendors falling down, these just might.?

Is Roberts right? Just how important is a VB100 pass or fail rating? And what?s the full list of companies who passed and failed? Please read onto page 2.

Itwire article

• Moderators
How in the world did Microsoft?s OneCare pass??? I heard it was one of the worst anti-anything programs out there ever. Unless it was recently revamped???

I don't know if they released the new version or not, however they were making it better and were supposedly even using user suggestions to improve it.

I can get it for free via my ISP, however the version I used for all of one week was downright horrible and I would have preferred a virus compared to it.