EXCLUDE list - Google Web Accelerator files

martinsmithson

Hello again all!

This morning I decided to give Google's Web Accelerator software a spin with my dial-up service.

I am not that familiar with other acceleration software, but Google writes four (4) files to the HDD in C:\Documents and Settings\%PC_ID%\Local Settings\Temp. The files are...

- GoogleWebAccWarden.exe.log

- GoogleWebAcceleratorCache

- GoogleWebAccelerator.pac

- googlewebaccclient.exe.log

After running CCleaner, I discovered that, given my existing settings, the above files were deleted. This, of course, virtually eliminates the beneifs associated with Google's Web Accelerator.

I thought that adding the file locations/names to my EXCLUDE list would prevent CCleaner from deleting them. I was wrong. I believe the EXCLUDE list is strictly for the Registry Cleaner. Is this correct???

I would prefer not clearing (or unchecking) the "Temporary Files" box found under CCleaner/Applications/System.

Presently, my .ini file reads...

[Options]

Language=1033

UpdateKey=11/05/2007 01:57:39 PM

(App)Windows Log Files=False

MSG_CONFIRMCLEAN=False

(App)*MUICache=False

(App)*Windows Update Logs=True

Exclude1=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ax

Exclude2=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pf

Exclude3=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.s3

BackupPrompt=0

AutoClose=1

DelayTemp=0

WINDOW_LEFT=120

WINDOW_TOP=543

WINDOW_WIDTH=1065

WINDOW_HEIGHT=450

WINDOW_MAX=0

MSG_WARNMOZCACHE=False

Exclude4=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.123

Exclude5=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ARJ

Exclude6=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dxf

Exclude7=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.PRN

Exclude8=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.WK3

Exclude9=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dvr-ms

Exclude10=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.acm

Exclude11=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ref

Exclude12=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.adr

HideWarnings=0

Exclude13=FILE|C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temp\|googlewebaccclient.exe.log

Exclude14=FILE|C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temp\|GoogleWebAccelerator.pac

Exclude15=FILE|C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temp\|GoogleWebAcceleratorCache

Exclude16=FILE|C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temp\|GoogleWebAccWarden.exe.log

Exclude17=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pac

(App)Opera - Cookies=True

(App)Old Prefetch data=False

(App)Menu Order Cache=False

(App)Tray Notifications Cache=False

(App)Window Size/Location Cache=False

(App)User Assist History=False

(App)Hotfix Uninstallers=False

(App)Custom Folders=False

(App)Chkdsk File Fragments=False

(App)Memory Dumps=False

How do I set CCleaner to omit from deleting the Google Web Accelerator files?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Martin :)

• Moderators

I see you've added the individual files for Google Web Accelerator, how about also excluding it's whole folder, this one:

C:\Documents and Settings\%PC_ID%

1. You'll first have to enable the view of Hidden Files and Folders (View the instructions from Microsoft to display them).
  2. Open CCleaner, click Options, Exclude, Add Folder, then browse to:
  3. Now set Hidden Files and Folders back to their default hidden view.

Edit:

Never mind the above instructions, I just realized the %PC_ID% is the user profile name, duh a dumb moment on my behalf. Actually I don't see why CCleaner is removing the individual files you've already excluded, unless perhaps you're also using another cleaning program alongside CCleaner.

I thought that adding the file locations/names to my EXCLUDE list would prevent CCleaner from deleting them. I was wrong. I believe the EXCLUDE list is strictly for the Registry Cleaner. Is this correct???
No, it will exclude files, folders, and registry issues depending on which button you check.

However, I do not know why it is not working.

Actually I don't see why CCleaner is removing the individual files....
Because they are in the temporary directory.

They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing, or ger. WOAH there they go!!!!!!!

~Otto

How to use CCleaner on a Flash Drive (pre v2.0)

I see you've added the individual files for Google Web Accelerator, how about also excluding it's whole folder, this one:

1. You'll first have to enable the view of Hidden Files and Folders (View the instructions from Microsoft to display them).
  2. Open CCleaner, click Options, Exclude, Add Folder, then browse to:
  3. Now set Hidden Files and Folders back to their default hidden view.

Edit:

Never mind the above instructions, I just realized the %PC_ID% is the user profile name, duh a dumb moment on my behalf. Actually I don't see why CCleaner is removing the individual files you've already excluded, unless perhaps you're also using another cleaning program alongside CCleaner.

Hey, Andavari!

Thanks again for replying to one of my posts. Your support is sincerely appreciated.

Yeah, I should have identified what I meant by the %PC_ID% notation. Glad you figured it out.

No other cleaner(s). But after I posted, I decided to uninstall CCleaner, and then reinstall it. I had been saving my .ini file in a separate directory and copying it back into the CCleaner directory each time I updated. This time I did not, and instead I re-entered the Registry and Google exclusions.

The new install and "fresh" .ini file (with freshly entered exclusions) seems to have resolved the problem. Of course, I will monitor this result for the next few days. Let's hope that it works! ;)

Many thanks again, Andavari for your kind reply.

Best regards,

Hey, Andavari!

Thanks again for replying to one of my posts. Your support is sincerely appreciated.

Yeah, I should have identified what I meant by the %PC_ID% notation. Glad you figured it out.

No other cleaner(s). But after I posted, I decided to uninstall CCleaner, and then reinstall it. I had been saving my .ini file in a separate directory and copying it back into the CCleaner directory each time I updated. This time I did not, and instead I re-entered the Registry and Google exclusions.

The new install and "fresh" .ini file (with freshly entered exclusions) seems to have resolved the problem. Of course, I will monitor this result for the next few days. Let's hope that it works! ;)

Many thanks again, Andavari for your kind reply.

Best regards,

Hi Martin,

Your list of your .ini file showed your problem.

You did not have "Custom Files and Folders" option checked.

Don't forget to keep a copy of your .ini file somewhere.I hate having to recreate my settings ,options,cookies to keep ,etc.Of course you need to set the option to save settings to INI file in Options > Advanced.

Good Luck,

:) davey

• Moderators
No, it will exclude files, folders, and registry issues depending on which button you check.

However, I do not know why it is not working.

Because they are in the temporary directory.

If they're however excluded CCleaner should know not to remove them.

For example I made a DVD Shrink cleaner for myself in winapp2.ini that removes the DVD analysis results, however I have CCleaner ignore one file which is actually the license agreement and CCleaner never deletes that file.