Windows Media Player / Explorer issues

dsb

I've got a problem with all my movie files - i can't play any of them. Initially i though it was a malware or virus problem, so went through the hijack this log forum:

Hijack this logs

it doesn't seem to be a problem along these lines - Thanks to RiP_ChAiN for all the help so far.

Basically the problem is that I can't play any movies on any media player. In fact i can't do anything with them.

Everytime i click on a movie (either left or right mouse button) I get a message saying that Windows Explorer and/or Windows Media player has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. This happens with all my movie files.

i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling WMP which hasn't helped and there are no patches/updates according to Microsoft Update.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

dsb

Open Program Access and Defaults.

Under Microsoft Windows does it show WMP as the Media Player and Enable access.?

Even if it does go to the Custom button - "Choose a default media player" and select Windows Media Player then OK out of there.

Don't know if it can help but just may jog something into place?

• Moderators

Maybe some buggy, corrupt, missing codecs, too many installed codecs would be my guess.

Not to throw another codec pack upon you however the free K-Lite Mega Codec Pack includes Codec Tweak Tool which can detect broken codecs, and register some unregistered codecs in the registry, etc.

Note if you do try K-Lite Mega Codec Pack make sure you uninstall any other codec pack(s) first.

dsb.

I have experienced similar problems and after a bit of digging about, it turns out that Media Player has really been watered down, especially when it comes to playing back DVD movies.

You can download plugin's for it through the media player store, but who wants to pay for them....they should be free of charge!

The other week I downloaded VLC player, which worked a treat for playing back DVD movies. It's quite a simple looking program, however it does the job.

Personally I don't use Windows Media Player for anything, as I use Winamp for playing mp3 and divx files, therefore I'd recommend the above setup if you are looking for an alternatives to WMP.

Cheers

Stryker

Sucess is a journey, not a destination...

Andavari - sweet response. Problem solved. Can't believe it was that simple!

Stryker - i'll have a look at that program, anythings gotta be better than WMP

You guys rock!

Cheers