SUPERAntiSpyware

craigathus

Hi guy's.

Today I started a manual scan of Local Disk (C:) with "SUPERAntiSpyware" and not long after it started it paused, and a message said to insert a "disk" into Drive (D:)

It wouldn't continue without a disk in Drive (D:)

It didn't say what "disk" it wanted? so I just put in the first disk that came to hand "Age of Empires III" and the scan continued?

The scan finished, and no problems were found.

Has anyone had this happen?

For me this is the first time "SUPERAntiSpyware" has done this.

Edit:

I just finished running another scan, and "SUPERAntiSpyware" ran normally.

It didn't find any threats.

It didn't ask for a "disk" to be inserted into Drive (D:) this time? :huh:

• Moderators

Sometimes after a disc has been in the CD/DVD drive Windows somehow remembers it, and when running scanning programs like Ad-Aware and evidently now SUPERAntiSpyware afterwards they may or will request them by giving a message like "No Disc in drive D:". I haven't had SAS do that yet.

"I think it's just a Windows related bug, or perhaps something in the registry" as it's happened to me before on countless occasions back when I still used Ad-Aware, however I could be wrong about it being a bug. Typically rebooting gets rid of it.

Sometimes after a disc has been in the CD/DVD drive Windows somehow remembers it, and when running scanning programs like Ad-Aware and evidently now SUPERAntiSpyware afterwards they may or will request them by giving a message like "No Disc in drive D:". I haven't had SAS do that yet.

"I think it's just a Windows related bug, or perhaps something in the registry" as it's happened to me before on countless occasions back when I still used Ad-Aware, however I could be wrong about it being a bug. Typically rebooting gets rid of it.

Hi Andavari ;)

So refreshing the System "RAM" by rebooting "Windows" could have helped SUPERAntiSpyware scan without any problems?

Is it possible that you inadvertantly had checked drive D in the scan options. This has happened to me in the past.

Hi MikeW ;)

I was thinking along those lines, and I made sure that only Drive (C:) was checked.

Andavari mentions rebooting, and after a reboot everything seems to be normal again.

• Moderators
So refreshing the System "RAM" by rebooting "Windows" could have helped SUPERAntiSpyware scan without any problems?

That has worked for me in the past with Ad-Aware because it would repeatedly ask for the disc to be inserted. The only way I ever tried to get around that annoyance was to just restart Windows.

I don't know if it has something to do with RAM or the registry however the reboot is getting rid of something that Windows is holding onto during a session. I never looked any further into the problem and in reality wouldn't have really been able to do anything about it. A reboot in my case was always able to fix it, and strangely I've only encountered that particular problem in WinXP and I even have Auto Play for CDs/DVDs turned off.

That has worked for me in the past with Ad-Aware because it would repeatedly ask for the disc to be inserted. The only way I ever tried to get around that annoyance was to just restart Windows.

I don't know if it has something to do with RAM or the registry however the reboot is getting rid of something that Windows is holding onto during a session. I never looked any further into the problem and in reality wouldn't have really been able to do anything about it. A reboot in my case was always able to fix it, and strangely I've only encountered that particular problem in WinXP and I even have Auto Play for CDs/DVDs turned off.

Hi Andarvari ;)

As I said in my first post, I just put the first disk that came to hand "Age of Empires III" into "Drive (D:)".

I hadn't used that disk "Age of Empires III" in weeks? so I'm thinking that Windows wouldn't be holding onto any scraps of info about that particular disk?

I guess I could have put any disk in "Drive (D:)" and had the same result, "SUPERAntiSpyware" didn't ask for any specific disk.

Thanks for the info Andarvari :) , a reboot seems to solve the problem.