Help! Word perfect disappeared and Outlook isn't working right!

elletee

HELP! I am one of those sad people with a computer that is 8,000 years old. Okay, actually it is about 10 years old, running the first (not even the second) version of Windows 98. I ran CCleaner to free up some room because I had virtually no memory left (not much to begin with) and yes, it freed up a ton of space. However, it also took away one of the only things I really need: Wordperfect , and it also screwed up my Outlook Express (the only other thing I really use.) I seem to be able to receive e-mails but I can't send any (it won't let me compose) and my address book disappeared, though all my old e-mails thankfully are still there.

I am assuming I deleted the programmes that deal with these things, but I didn't do anything strange...I don't think! I didn't uncheck "office" under applications, because I thought that was just another of a bunch of programmes I have that I never use. I didn't think that referred to Outlook or Wordperfect.

The message that comes up when I open outlook says: "the address book failed to load. Outlook express is incorrectly configured, please re-install." When I try to compose a message it says: "there was an error opening this message. An error has occured." Wordperfect is just gone.

Perhaps I need to reinstall these programmes, but the problem is that I do not have the windows 98 CD. I bought this computer 8,000 years ago from someone who didn't give the cd to me. I don't even know where to get it now, and quite frankly, I hate to have to buy it even if I could because I'm completely broke and that's money I could put towards what I really need - a new computer!

Any suggestions? Help help help! I really need my wordperfect back. God knows what else disappeared that I use and am not aware of... And how did this happen? If it was because I didn't uncheck "office" shouldn't it be more clear what that refers to?

Thanks much! (not the most computer savvy over here, obviously!)

HELP! I am one of those sad people with a computer that is 8,000 years old. Okay, actually it is about 10 years old, running the first (not even the second) version of Windows 98. I ran CCleaner to free up some room because I had virtually no memory left (not much to begin with) and yes, it freed up a ton of space. However, it also took away one of the only things I really need: Wordperfect , and it also screwed up my Outlook Express (the only other thing I really use.) I seem to be able to receive e-mails but I can't send any (it won't let me compose) and my address book disappeared, though all my old e-mails thankfully are still there.

I am assuming I deleted the programmes that deal with these things, but I didn't do anything strange...I don't think! I didn't uncheck "office" under applications, because I thought that was just another of a bunch of programmes I have that I never use. I didn't think that referred to Outlook or Wordperfect.

The message that comes up when I open outlook says: "the address book failed to load. Outlook express is incorrectly configured, please re-install." When I try to compose a message it says: "there was an error opening this message. An error has occured." Wordperfect is just gone.

Perhaps I need to reinstall these programmes, but the problem is that I do not have the windows 98 CD. I bought this computer 8,000 years ago from someone who didn't give the cd to me. I don't even know where to get it now, and quite frankly, I hate to have to buy it even if I could because I'm completely broke and that's money I could put towards what I really need - a new computer!

Any suggestions? Help help help! I really need my wordperfect back. God knows what else disappeared that I use and am not aware of... And how did this happen? If it was because I didn't uncheck "office" shouldn't it be more clear what that refers to?

Thanks much! (not the most computer savvy over here, obviously!)

Google "outlook express download". It is a free download from several sources such as twocows.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/194179

Windows 98 first edition is a modified Windows 95. Someone else will have to tell you if CCleaner supports it. Win 98SE is a completely different program.

There are a couple of places selling (New?) win 98 first edition programs such as. (I don't know if any of them will work for you or not.)

http://trinityliquidations.com/catalog/mic...loem-p-192.html?

irfner

Hi elletee,

Well,what a fix you are in.

Luckily there are some pretty experienced and helpful members on this forum that can help you out.

Unfortunately,I don't have that kind of experience.It sounds like your Outlook Express may need reinstalling but I would suggest waiting just a bit longer for some replies from experienced Outlook Express users also.

I would do some "searching" and Exploring for that Address Book,especially in Outlook Express folder.

This link may come in handy for OE.See the tools he lists there.Looks like OE can be "testy".

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=94549

You can get info to backup and restore OE data at this link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

You can get the latest IE 6 SP1 for your computer at this link.This has latest Outlook Express also.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Windows 98:

16 MB of RAM minimum

Full install size: 11.5 MB

Then a trip to Microsoft Update here.

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Maybe someone else on the forum can help you get another copy of Word Perfect.

Best Wishes,

:) davey

Edited by davey

• 2 months later...
In this situation try-Outlook Express problems,restore after Viruses, software failures, power failures, human errors, hard drive failures, Outlook Express problem and Outlook Express troubles are only a few examples of what could destroy the data of your e-mails, including the email address book and contacts,software you will be protected from Outlook Express Email crashes and damages,extracts and saves e-mails from .dbx files that are used by Outlook Express in order to store messages to the local drive.

Hi,

I don?t know too much about your problem, but I have heard about a tool, You may try Advanced Outlook Express Repair at http://www.datanumen.com/aoer/ This tool is rather useful in salvaging damaged Outlook Express dbx files.

Alan