Startup

craigathus

Hi all :)

What's the easiest and safest way to stop! a "program" for example: (Realtek's Sound Manager) from automatically starting & placing it's icon in the system tray?

The program dose give me a "check box" option to: (Show icon in system tray) however there is no option for stopping the program from starting at system startup!

I can uncheck this program in the "startup" list in (msconfig), is this the "normal" way to do this?

Yup ;)

Hi JD :) , CCleaner has a "Startup" list in the "Tools" section, however the only option (Unfortunately) is to delete any highlighted entry.

Hi JD :) , CCleaner has a "Startup" list in the "Tools" section, however the only option (Unfortunately) is to delete any highlighted entry.

Yeah, I don't like the way CCleaner handles it, at least with msconfig you can easily re-add an entry if you need to (just retick the box)

Yeah, I don't like the way CCleaner handles it, at least with msconfig you can easily re-add an entry if you need to (just retick the box)

Adding check boxes to the startup entries, might be a worth while suggestion to post in CCleaner Suggestions ;)

I can uncheck this program in the "startup" list in (msconfig), is this the "normal" way to do this?

Msconfig is not a recommended way to disable Startup items

Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?

The reason is because with msconfig and Hardware Profiles, you can disable services that may be vital to boot your system. With the management console (services.msc) you cannot. Also, msconfig, while unchecking the box, is disabling the service.

The "Disable All" button also scares me. It should not even be there as no reason exists to justify disabling "everything."

http://www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP25.htm

WinPatrol has a feature to disable/enable Startup Programs

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I think autoruns will do it for a startup item, and services.msc will do it for a service.

Autoruns is:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

That is referring to stopping services in msconfig, not startup items.

Why don't you try the Disable All button uhm.gif

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• 4 weeks later...