Help... with Disk Doctor//Erorr Checking

corjello

When i try to check my disk for errors (Check Disk) i get a message that says the disk is being used exclusivly... I dont understand, neither microsofts or Nortons works because of this error message. I am trying to check the hardrive i am running my OS on... Also as a side note, why do many people think Norton 2005 AntiVirus is a P.O.S.?? I find the System Works as a very usefull program.

• Moderators
When i try to check my disk for errors (Check Disk) i get a message that says the disk is being used exclusivly... I dont understand, neither microsofts or Nortons works because of this error message. I am trying to check the hardrive i am running my OS on...  Also as a side note, why do many people think Norton 2005 AntiVirus is a P.O.S.?? I find the System Works as a very usefull program.

Cant fix your problem but as to why norton sucks read this thread:

http://forum.CCleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=387

I'm not sure why you'd get a message about excusivity. Is this Windows XP? If it's NOT, then ignore all of the following, otherwise, try it out:

//-----------

Start, Run... CMD

C:\Documents and...\>chkdsk C: /f

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another

process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be

checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) Y

//---OR------ :

C:\Documents and...\>fsutil dirty set C:

(reboot)

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

It sets the dirty bit on the NTFS volume which makes autochk (which runs every bootup via the BootExecute value in the Session Manager key) to perform a scheduled check (using /F). For /R you have to use the UI - right click the drive, properties, tools, check for errors, checkmark both boxes, then it'll tell you it has to restart. You can also do CHKDSK <drive> /R on the command prompt and if the drive is locked, it'll schedule a /R (via autochk, etc).

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)