SPYBOT S&D-Worms-Trojans!

OKC_taxlady

I downloaded SPYBOT S&D, suggestion from several computer guru sites ie" CNET.com-there are more. I researched for hours about software to use, for spyware/malware/virus & worm threats/etc, to keep my computer updated, and protected.

I went to run scans after setting program up, and things begin to start happening, telling me that now I have trojans, worms, parasites, etc in my programs. It has all been cleaned up now, using CCleaner and some other scans.

The key to opening this can of "worms", wa when I went into my START/RUN/msconfig/Startups tab, to disable some of the items running in the background, slowing down my CPU %. I also spent many hours researching if the ones I needed to disable from running in the background were safe.

Originally it WAS SPYBOT, after a scan had been run, that notified me to parasites, in which programs!! Ironic! It was after I unchecked programs not to run, while in the msconfig/startup program, that opened a mess. Things and warnings were popping up every minutes, balck list, white list, all from SPYBOT.

IT was their OWN software that contained this worm/trojans, snuck into "msconfig".

I researched last night for 4 hrs, all the websites that keep up to date about what threats are out there, and here it was!

I had no problem for using the OLD SPYBOT, it was when I went to upgrade, that these worms got into my system, and created havoc everywhere.

Thank you, hope I have clarified this for you, and did not make this experience yesterday complicated. I just wanted to let you know that either through the SPYBOT software downloaded, or their forum, these parasites attacked me. HUGS, Helene

Where did you download your copy of Spybot Search and Destroy from? Did you download it from their main site?

If not, it's no wonder why you had all those troubles: the host site could have had hosted a virus riddled version of Spybot.

I've never had the problems you had with spybot. When you're looking for new programs it's always a good idea to download the program from the author site, and it's a good idea to verify what you're downloading by just looking at the site (does the site seem trust worthy?)

"...the SPYBOT software downloaded, or their forum."

I highly doubt that becuase I download from their forums all the time and I had no problems whatsoever.

Originally it WAS SPYBOT, after a scan had been run, that notified me to parasites, in which programs!! Ironic! It was after I unchecked programs not to run, while in the msconfig/startup program, that opened a mess. Things and warnings were popping up every minutes, balck list, white list, all from SPYBOT.

Are you sure you didn't just turn on Spybot's Teatimer protection (which would pop up warnings all over the place if there was a spyware causing havoc), wouldn't mean Spybot was infected, it's just trying to warn you there's stuff going on. I would suggest following the instructions HERE and posting a HijackThis log in the relevant forum section to find out for definite what infections you have and get expert advice on exactly how to remove them.

As JD Say's

Are you sure you didn't just turn on Spybot's Teatimer protection (which would pop up warnings all over the place if there was a spyware causing havoc)

From my experience, just doing something as simple as changing your "screen saver" to a different one will trigger "Spybot S&D" warnings! If you are using "Teatimer" (Resident Scanner)

Spybot.com is bad Spybot S & D is good go get it and info at http://www.safer-networking.org/ & send in a hijack log I had spybot S & D from 1.2 now it 1.5 work very good. :mellow: :mellow:New to day 15 Feb 2008 > As you can see need to get the good one .http://www.benedelman.org/news/021408-1.html * Consider the top three ads for a Google search for "Spybot", a popular early anti-spyware program (full name "Spybot Search & Destroy") :rolleyes::rolleyes: