Heavy use of CCleaner

glenstff

HI EVERYONE....I'M NEW BUT, HAVE USED CCleaner FOR 2 YEARS.......I THINK IT IS JUST GREAT.

MY QUESTION IS .......I USE IT VERY OFTEN TO CLEAR COOKIES.........AND OTHER DATA. I USE SECURE DELETION...3 PASSES.....DOES USE OF THE CLEANER OFTEN, WEAR OUT YOUR HARD DRIVE, SINCE IT WORKS SO FAST....OR AM I WORRYING FOR NO REASON......PLEASE HELP

GLEN

I've used it for a few years, and currently on this computer use it after every browsing session. (So, maybe 2-4 times daily, 3 passes.)

There are some opinions around that performing too many read/write ops to the hard drive (eg mass deletions/excess defragging) can prematurely wear it out, but I've not read anything conclusive about this. Mine is a Seagate, and showing no signs of wear and tear/bad sectors etc.

• Moderators
There are some opinions around that performing too many read/write ops to the hard drive (eg mass deletions/excess defragging) can prematurely wear it out, but I've not read anything conclusive about this.

True. Anymore I think with just regular usage of hardware people are really lucky to get 2-3 years out of stuff before it nukes itself.

The only correlation I've ever seen on my system of over usage equaling a short hardware life is with CD/DVD drives and ripping audio CDs using a secure CD ripping program.

deleting files with CCleaner has the same exact effect on hard drive as downloading music, browsing the internet, emptying recycle bin, or any other action that creates/deletes files on your computer.. they're all just read/write operations.

so.. the only way to not wear down your hard drive, is to not use it ;)

CCleaner doesn't do any 'extra' work that would wear your drive faster.. it's not like it's making your PC run 80 miles. it's just doing simple file deletions. so I wouldn't worry about it

well, I guess using multiple passes would make a little difference.. since you aren't deleting the file once, but actually 3 times.

if you deleted all files using 3 passes, your computer would be doing 3x more work then normal..

but eh, I wouldn't worry about it mate. it's small stuff. it would hardly effect the lifespan of your drive, if it even does at all

unsober .. explained it properly ..

deleting files with CCleaner has the same exact effect on hard drive as downloading music, browsing the internet, emptying recycle bin, or any other action that creates/deletes files on your computer.. they're all just read/write operations.

so.. the only way to not wear down your hard drive, is to not use it

Simplicity is hard.