Paging File

agumon

i heard that if a system have >=512MB of RAM size, paging file might not even be required... is this true and if it is not then what is the recomended value of paging file for a 512MB of RAM?

--==aGumon==--

Rule of thumb is 1.5x the system memory.

edit> oh I messed up - I originally typed 1.5x (which is the rule of thumb) but in parenthesis I put the explanation for MY rule of thumb, which is 2.5x -- so that your memory can be 100% full twice, and then room to spare)

edit> After 1024 MB of RAM though, you don't need a paging file anymore, at all, ever, period, (unless you're doing some professional work with high resolution images or movie editing or something) and you can safely ignore all warnings about the paging file (like Photoshop, etc).

edit> It's also helpful to put paging files on all drives except for the system drive.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

The default setting is good enough for most users.

If you have 512+ mb RAM, then you probably have enough for most things.

I have 256 mb RAM, it is not all that much, but it works okay for me. ;)

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Set both options (minimum size and maximum size) to the same value for added performance -- with a static setting, Windows won't ever have to resize the paging file, it'll be the same size all the time. Also, try to stay within powers of two. For 512 MB of RAM, 1024 MB is great! If you want to do 1.5x rule as described above, then that'd be 768. I recommend 1024 though.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Set both options (minimum size and maximum size) to the same value for added performance -- with a static setting, Windows won't ever have to resize the paging file, it'll be the same size all the time. Also, try to stay within powers of two. For 512 MB of RAM, 1024 MB is great! If you want to do 1.5x rule as described above, then that'd be 768. I recommend 1024 though.

i just feel it is a waste of disk space... even though my free space on both drive are a lot...

and i heard that Windows uses pagingfile when RAM are used up... is this true?

--==aGumon==--

not a waste of space -- free space is not for saving, it's for using.

Yes, Windows and all subsequent win32 apps, use the pagefile extensively (even when RAM is not all used up). Setting it to a static value that is 1.5x or 2x your RAM is a great idea.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

not a waste of space -- free space is not for saving, it's for using.

haha... maybe you are right...

Yes, Windows and all subsequent win32 apps, use the pagefile extensively (even when RAM is not all used up).

oh... i see i see...

Setting it to a static value that is 1.5x or 2x your RAM is a great idea.

i used a static pagingfile... 1.5x the size of my RAM...

--==aGumon==--